Some ramblings and news

Per Starb\dck starback at csd.uu.se
Thu Dec 31 00:00:41 CET 1992

Welcome back from Christmas vacation everyone and thanks to Andrew and
Hannes for the Christmas "cards" sent to the list.  I didn't send a
card because my nephews forgot to mail the card orders to the Ajax
Card Company.  (OK, what Barks story am I alluding to?)

Thanks also to Wilmer Rivers who noticed my name in a letter in Comics
Buyer's Guide where Dana Gabbard asked for the whereabouts of some
Duckburg Times subscribers he had lost contact with.

Thanks to him I told Gabbard my new address and got the current issue
of The Duckburg Times as an extra Christmas present.  As we've already
heard here it's a special Ducktales issue, so there isn't much
comics-related stuff in there, but there are some short items worthy
of mentioning here, mostly on the loose sheet that we subscribers got
with the magazine:

 o There will soon be a book out by Carl Fallberg, who has *written*
lots of Disney comics, among other things many of the Mickey Mouse
serials drawn by Paul Murry.  The title: _Disney's Men, Women and Mouse_.

 o Dana and Frank Gabbard are working on an updated Barks Reprint
Guide which will soon be published.

 o Dana Gabbard and Geir Hasnes (or Norway) are working on a
bibliography of articles about Barks which will probably be published
as a book in 1993.

 o Duckburg Times #26 will include a profile on Italian Disney artist
Marco Rota, an article by Ken Bausert titled "The World According to
Carl Barks" and an installment of Andy Lendacky's series on Barks's
use of language, among other things.

 o Duckburg Times #27 will probably be a special issue devoted to the
Barks Library.

 o Joe Torcivia is compiling an index to the Donald Duck comic book,
and needs info on #214, #217, and #220.  Contact him at 835 Merillon
Ave., Westbury NY 11590 if you can help.  (I have none of those.
Anyone else?)

 o Tom Ryan, a dealer in Disney comics under the name of Calisota, has
produced indexes to Donald and Mickey one-shots, Don Rosa stories,
etc. which he will send in exchange for 2 postage stamps (58 cents).
5601 20th Ave. N.W., Naples FL 33999.

 o The Don Rosa interview by Dana Gabbard that has appeared translated
to Danish in the latest Carl Barks & Co. will be published in an
upcoming issue of Comics Journal.

Also, I've written Bill Hayes, the editor of Comics List Weekly, to
ask him about the thing from CLW I quoted about Gladstone taking over
Disney comics again.  He said that he had heard rumours about it
(originating from Don Rosa) and because of that called Gladstone and
talked with their editorial staff.  They confirmed that they now have
rights to the Disney Line, so I guess it's true after all...

Let's see how many more issues Disney Comics will put out, and what
changes Gladstone will bring after that.  According to a news post by
"Scowling Jim Cowling" the books scheduled to be released in March by
Disney are Aladdin: More Arabian Nights 2, Cartoon Tales: Dinosaurs 2,
Colossal Comics Collection 10, Disney Adventures 10, Donald Duck
Adventures 37, Uncle Scrooge 279, and WDC&S 584.

Now it's soon time for New Year's resolutions, like never getting mad
again, or never wearing your hat inside.  A Happy New Year everyone!
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: Per.Starback at student.docs.uu.se
"Shall we make the Taffy in this kettle?" -- "Naw!  Here's a bigger one!"