Carl Buettner, The Duckburg Times, The Phantom Blot, Don Rosa

Per Starb{ck starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Sat Nov 21 22:41:12 CET 1992

Carl (Von) Buettner
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
me> (...) Carl Buettner (...)
Harry> You called him Carl *Von* Buettner in the Gladstone Digest
Harry> list, if I'm not mistaken.
Harry> Is this his 'real' name?

In most places I've seen his name it's been Carl Von Buettner, but in
Becattini's "Disney Index" he's called just Carl Buettner, even if it
says his full name was with a Von.  I guess he didn't use the Von of
his name.  Actually it says "nee Carl Von Buettner" in the book, but
that's an English error, isn't it?  At least I though nee was only
used for "the name you're born with" for people (read women) who
changed their last name when they married?  In Becattini's book there
are things like "Jack Hannah, nee John Frederick Hannah".

The Duckburg Times
this was #24/25, and the last issue I have is #22 --- does anyone know
what's in #23?

The Phantom Blot
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rich>  One thing it explained was that the Phantom Blot actually does
Rich> appear in one episode (and Per & I thought he hadn't).

OK, I guess the has-only-appeared-in-comics mark for him in your list
should go away then.  It's funny how DuckTales has used so many Disney
*comics* characters --- before that the characters always moved the
other way.

Don Rosa's series on Scrooge's youth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm back today from a meeting of NAFS(k), the Swedish Donaldists.
Someone had discovered serious incompatibilities between part three of
Rosa's series and an old Barks story.  Tsk tsk...  And here I thought
Rosa knew his stuff. :-) (I'll say no more, as only Scandinavians have
had a chance to read the story yet.)  Part 4 will be in 2/93 and part
5 in 11/93 here in Scandinavia.  Besides that Rosa's been doing a
"long story about books" for Norway, but that hasn't been published yet.

Regarding Rosa: did anyone catch the following in the fourth page of
his "Treasure under Glass":

  Huey: It's just another empty barque!
 Dewey: Maybe it's the one that cut *coral* for building forts on the
        keys where they had no stone!
 Louie: Yeah...  I've *heard* of coral barques!
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: Per.Starback at student.docs.uu.se