Herbert

Per Starb{ck starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Thu Oct 8 00:14:51 CET 1992

Hello quiet ones!

Some time ago Rich talked about making and collecting short profiles
on the Disney characters, like biographical data, and who made stories
with them, etc.  When I read the latest version of his DISNEY Toon
Character List I could only think of one recurring character that
wasn't there, so I tried to write a little entry for him.

* Herbert

Herbert is a friend of Huey, Dewey and Louie.  He is an
anthropomorphized pig who wears trousers and a sweater with stripes.
His mother (also a pig of course) was seen briefly in WDC 43, and his
father trains substitutes for setting hens for a living (WDC 70).
Herbert isn't very bright --- when the nephews gave him a dime he
swallowed it, and an X ray of his stomach showed a marble, some
buttons, the dime, and "a very bad school report card" (WDC 50).  His
only lines in WDC 43 were "Hunk-uh!" and "Yea!"

He was invented by Carl Barks, who used him in the following stories:

WDC 43 "Three Dirty Little Ducks"
WDC 50 (The Five-Hundred Dollar Dime)
WDC 70 (Smugsnorkle Squattie) (Herbert is not seen, only mentioned.)

[There are more, aren't there?  What have I forgot?]

Only Barks used him back then, but I think some of the newer artists
who know their Barks have used Herbert once or twice.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"