Gladstone and Furries

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Tue Apr 6 18:03:37 CEST 1993

> Are all Gladstone Disney comics going to be "reprints only"?  No new, fresh
> material?  :-(  Don't get me wrong, I like the reprints, especially when we
> (in the U.S.) are treated to some of the foriegn market stories, but I find
> sort of sad to think that Disney comics are just rehash of old stories.  I'd
> like to continue to see some modern twists to our favorite furries.

I didn't like the new stories Disney Comics made of Roger Rabbit, TaleSpin etc.
I also wouldn't call my favorite Disney comic characters 'furries'. That word
reminds me of (pet) animals, and in my eyes, Donald, Mickey etc. were *not*
animals. They were humans, but they looked a bit like animals.

Maybe I'm too old for innovations in Disney comics, but I like the comic
stories of the 50s (Barks, Murry, Strobl, etc.) and the new stories done in
the same style (Rosa, Jippes, Rota etc.).

> BTW, someone commented that France's "Disney Babies" features were "for
> babies" and I meant to respond, though not to flame.

I made that comment. I was talking about the *comics* (I have never seen
a Disney Babies TV program). It was just a provoking remark, in an attempt
to get some reaction...
The Disney Babies comics were published in Holland in a Disney magazine
for children of age 2 to 6. Most stories are with very little text, so
parents could read them to their children. The French (and also the S-coded,
hence American) Disney Babies one-pagers fit in this magazine perfectly.

> Just to remind him/her
> that many people still hold that comics are for babies, too.  Despite the
> great following that they have in the adult arena.

Well, *some* comics are for babies. People stating that "all comics are for
babies" are wrong, but people stating that "all comics are for adults"
are wrong, too.

> I personally like to share
> the Disney Babies golden books and such with my nieces and nephews, as well as
> appreciate their history within the Disney company, themselves.  I really
> think Disney could do much more with them.  I have noticed that, of late, they
> have expanded the line to include the young versions of Bambi, Thumper and
> Flower.

I think Disney Babies is a copy of Muppet Babies. I liked the TV series of
them, but that's not enough to long for a baby version of everything...

> Rich the Furry

Ah, but you were "not a duck". What kind of furry are you then?

--Harry (age 30)

Harry Fluks                    ()_()     Dutch Disney comics freak
PTT Research, Leidschendam      (_)      H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
"Yeah... I've _heard_ of coral barques!"