Comments on Per's Comments on Don's comments

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Fri Apr 23 09:22:34 CEST 1993

Don> But to redraw an entire STORY makes no sense -- are we sure they've
Don> done this?

Per> They have made many strange things in Scandinavia.  For a while they
Per> had someone shorten the long beaks of old Barks comics when reprinting
Per> them to make the ducks look more like later Barks which the readers
Per> were more used to.  They reprinted WDC 89 which takes place at winter
Per> in summertime, and then had someone change it to a summer setting,
Per> etc. etc.

As Per informed me a while ago, the Dutch editors once got a copy of a
Barks story from Denmark, with the beaks shortened. They then (re)lengthened
the beaks to let it look more like the 'old' Barks!

Don> The only thing I can think of is maybe some freelance writer is
Don> passing off these stories as their own new work since they can't be
Don> sued for plegarism, but only cussed by the editor in the unlikely
Don> event their copying is noticed (and that's not likely with tens of
Don> thousands of Duck stories out there and editors who don't know much).

I remember a Danish (Vicar) story where Donald wants to grow tomato(e)s in
a village called 'Happy village'. During the story, all kinds of disasters
happen to the village, and it ends up being all red. Sounds familiar?

Another Danish (again: Vicar) story shows Donald as a hotel employee,
carrying bags. There is only one job 'below': a help in the kitchen.
You can guess which job Donald has at the end of the story...

Don> TORSTEN ADAIR asks me if I might someday draw Pegleg Pete. No can
Don> do. He does not exist in the Duck stories -- he's a Mouse villain.

Per> Except in "Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold" of course, as "Black Pete".
Per> (Sorry for being so nitpicky. I know you know, but I just want to set
Per> it straight.)

And in a few other stories there is a person that looks a lot like Pete
(WDC 45, where he hires a boat from the nephews, and some later WDC about
transporting wood). It's OK to say that these are not Black Pete, but
there is a similarity (and maybe Don can draw one of these characters
some day, so both Don and Torsten are happy 8-)

Don> Besides, Disney has abolished his pegleg because that made fun of
Don> cripples or some such.

Per> I think I've read a Gottfredson story where Pete explains that he's
Per> now got a modern artificial leg instead of the old peg leg.

I think you've read a reference to that story in Gladstone's book
"Mickey Mouse in color". They show a panel there with Pete's explanation.

--Harry.

Harry Fluks                    ()_()     Dutch Disney comics freak
PTT Research, Leidschendam      (_)      H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
"Yeah... I've _heard_ of coral barques!"

(I hope this mail will travel faster than my previous one: it took almost 2
days to arrive!)