U.S. is a cultural backwater

Torsten Wesley Adair torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu
Thu Aug 5 05:55:34 CEST 1993

According to a recent issue of INTERNAL CORRESPONDENCE, published by
Capital Cities Distribution (one of the largest comic book distributors in
the U.S.), Gladstone commands 0.25% of the comic book market in the United
States.  For contrast, Marvel Comics, the largest comic book publisher in
the U.S, commands about 33% of the market.

However, there is some hope, as Marvel is in charge of distributing Disney
comics to newstands.  With hope, Marvel will bag the comics, and sell them
in much the same way Gold Key sold them many years ago.  Considering that
almost all Disney comics stories rarely last more than one issue, and that
the stories contain few contemporary cultural references, these comic
books could sit on the shelf forever, until sold.  If I was in charge at
Marvel, I would sign an agreement with Toys R Us (the largest toy store
chain), and have them agressively market the bags.

I'd also convince the Disney Stores to sell them too, in bags so they
don't get damaged.

Torsten Adair	torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu	Omaha, NE, USA
(Does anyone have the circulation figures from Disney/Gladstone?)