+Postage Due+Disney-comics digest #70.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Mon Aug 9 14:53:50 CEST 1993

	I'm not sure what sort of non-US editions of THE LITTLE MERMAID
you refer to, and it's unlikely I'd know much about it anyway since I
only pay attention to Donald and Mickey... or as I prefer to say, I only
pay attention to the DELL characters, and have little interest in DISNEY
characters.
	But I can at least tell you that the original film adaptation
that Disney presented before it was seen in Europe was, nonetheless,
done completely by Egmont in Copenhagan (as any LITTLE MERMAID comic
should be, since that's the home of the Little Mermaid). I recall how
much grief Egmont had from trying to work directly with the screwballs
at Disney Comics; it's natural to go nuts when you deal with a company
where the level of power and decision-making ability increases in direct
proportion with the decrease in any knowledge or understanding of the
material involved. But Disney Comics was never as honest as Gladstone;
Gladstone would freely admit when they were reprinting work commissioned
by OTHER companies -- Disney would always word the credits as if the
work was commissioned by and created for Disney Comics. Even when they
started reprinting my stories and I kept my eye on 'em to make sure they
didn't claim I was working for them, they were very sly to word the ads
like "first time in a Disney Comic!" -- the average reader would take
that to mean it was the story's first EVER appearance in a comic... but
the ad said first time in a Disney Comic, not a Disney comic (note the
capitatlization).
	Which is a long way of saying, I don't know a Little Mermaid
comic from a plate of Luttefisk.