Scrooge's Money Bin

Torsten Wesley Adair torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu
Thu Aug 12 15:29:07 CEST 1993

Recently, Gladstone reprinted (again) the story where Donald buys coins
from Uncle Scrooge and sells them to a coin dealer for a profit.  In
another story, wonderfully done by Don Rosa, Donald tries to excavate
Scrooge's money bin.

So here's my point:
	While Scrooge's money may have decreased in face value over the
years due to inflation, it has increased due to scarcity.  If Scrooge felt
like it (and he doesn't), he could make a tidy sum by clearing out his
money bin and selling choice coins.  There would be almost no
deterioration in quality, as the coins are packed in air tight, and there
would be little chance of humidity reaching more than a meter into the
pile.

	I think we should all view Scrooge's money bin as a very large
piggy bank, a place for Scrooge to toss his petty cash, in case he needs
to (gasp!) buy something, or if he ever gets the desire to frolic in his
wealth.

	Besides, it's the perfect way for Scrooge to advertise himself (a
large building, filled mostly with CASH), and it makes a wonderful plot
device.

He built it in the early 1900s?  So much for the possibility that he lined
the bottom of the vault with old comic books...

Here's an interesting question...  If Scrooge were a country, what would
his Gross Domestic Product be?  (Front row seat at the UN!)

Torsten Adair	torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu	Omaha, NE, USA