Scrooge's life, money, and bin

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Thu Aug 12 20:09:46 CEST 1993

Don wrote:
>	My "Life and Times of $crooge McDuck" does seek to take every
> last detail of $crooge's life, no matter HOW MINISCULE, and include it
> in the series. I challenge anyone to locate a detail I have missed!

Well, I've asked you before if we will get to know the story behind
Miss Penny Wise.

Then you said that you are
> irritated by people who try to figure how much money $crooge
> has in his Bin. Not only might the stated volume be a boast, but there's
> no way to know how much of it is paper money or more half-dollars than
> dollars, or whether there's other stuff than cash in the corners... and
> whatever the case, it's a waste of time anyway because that Bin is
> obviously not his NET WORTH! That's only his CASH.

Yes, it's very hard to measure how much it all is worth.  I guess the
only way would be if he turned everything he had into silver dollars
and put it all in a pile.  Hey, I just thought of something!  We're
lucky, he *has* done that.  All we have to do is to look closely at US
27 and estimate how many coins there are in his pile there.  (I don't
remember if I've seen someone do that, but I guess someone has.)

Of course that is one of those stories that make it a bit strange
that there are old coins about that Scrooge remember exactly when he
earned.  Presumably he took care to get the same coins and bills back
afterwards.  (Another one is where he exchanged all his money into
greenbacks.)

Torsten:
> I think we should all view Scrooge's money bin as a very large
> piggy bank, a place for Scrooge to toss his petty cash, in case he needs
> to (gasp!) buy something, or if he ever gets the desire to frolic in his
> wealth.

Primarily to frolic in it.  "What's the use of having money, if I
can't have *fun* with it!" as he said in "Only a Poor Old Man".

> He built it in the early 1900s?  So much for the possibility that he lined
> the bottom of the vault with old comic books...

I doubt Scrooge is interested in comics at all...
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "The referees will be the finest surveyors and geometricians
			in the world!"