Scattered remarks

Fredrik Ekman d91fe at ide.ide.hk-r.se
Wed Aug 18 00:39:36 CEST 1993

Hi again, folks!

It's been a long, rainy summer and it's been a long night. For when I
arrived at my site again earlier today I discovered that I had no less
than 255(!) letters waiting for me to be read, and one other arrived
while reading them. I suppose I'm just lucky that my mail account
didn't crash altogether! I guess that any sane person would have quit
the list for the summer...

Anyways! It's good to be back, and now that I am, I will of course have
to give a few comments on discussions that you have forgotten a long
time ago. Actually, some of these are so old that I'm almost embarassed
to even mention them. However, I feal that a few things should be added
here and there.

First off are Torsten, Per and Harry from June 29th to July 1st.

Torsten:
>Source: Comics Buyer's Guide  #1025  July 9, 1993  p. 132
>        "In the late 1970s and early 1980s the Walt Disney Studios
>produced approximately 20 feature-length stories featuring Mickey and
>Goofy.  Many were written by Greg Crosby, now Vice President of
>International Marketing at Disney, and all were drawn by Jaime Diaz at his
>finest.

Per:
>Actually at least 14 of these have been published in Sweden:
>
>Title                           Pg      Code
>Goofy da Vinci                  44
>Goofy Columbus                  44
>Goofy Galileo                   44      S 76159
>Mickey Marco Polo               44      S 76179
>*Goofy Beethoven
>Goofy Gutenberg                 44
>Goofy Arthur                    44
>*Goofy Ulysses
>Goofy King Tut                  44      S 78096
>King Goofy Midas                44
>Goofy Eiffel                    44
>Around the World in 80 Days     44
>*Goofy Wilhelm Tell             44      S 80135
>
>There are some funny gags and situations in those stories, even though
>they are not very Disneyesque.  Other opinions?

Harry:
>And there are a few other stories:
>
>*Goofy Frankenstein             H
>*Goofy Hercules                 H
>*20000 miles under the sea      H

Per, in a later letter admitted that the "Goofy Frankenstein" was also
published in Sweden. I could add to that that "20000 miles (leagues?)
under the sea" was also published in Sweden, although in another format.
Of this I am almost sure. I am completely sure that I have seen an
ad for that same comic in a German comic book, so several of the others
are probably published there as well.

As for the quality, they aren't, like Per says, very much like anything
that we are used to see under the Disney label. I, however, can't help
but loving those stories. When I was a few years younger I just adored
them and I could read them a million times (almost). Especially I liked
"Goofy King Tut" and "King Goofy Midas". Most of the others, although
not all of the same high quality, would in my opinion provide good value
for money. The lay-out is at best wonderfully weird and the pictures are
full of small details and jokes.

On another subject, Torsten wrote on July 11th:
>Ahem!  Anyway, Uncle Scrooge Adventures #23 (shipping August 24th) is a
>special 64-page issue featuring, among other things, a unique "crossover"
>adventure drawn by Paul Murry!  The Beagles and the Blot are after
>Scrooge's fantasticatillions ... It will take the combined efforts of
>Scrooge, Donald, Mickey, and Gyro ... to foil the villains and keep
>Scrooge's fortune intact!
>
>Full-scale "crossover" stories like this have always been rare in Disney
>comics, especially ones featuring such a stellar cast!  Not only that, but
>this tale, originally published nearly twenty-eight years ago, contains
>among the very few face-to-face encounters in comics between Mickey Mouse
>and Uncle Scrooge McDuck!

Well, I can tell of at least one similar tale. That one is an Italian
comic spanning over more than two hundred pages to tell the story of how
Scrooge went to the Olympic Games in Seoul 1988. Part of it features
The Beagle Boys teamed up with Black Pete to rob poor Scrooge and Mickey
(and Donald, unless my memory fails) helps him (Scrooge, not Pete) out.
The art is pretty OK, but the story is far too long to be interesting in
the long run. In Sweden it was published in one part in Kalle Ankas
Pocket 98 while in Italy it was probably split up in several parts. The
number is I1708.

That's that I suppose.

  /Fredrik Ekman