Tony Strobl dead

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Fri Aug 20 17:41:31 CEST 1993

Here follows a quote from Jerry Stratton's on-going report from the
San Diego comics con that he sends to The Comics List Weekly (another
mailing list):

> An Appeal for Tony Strobl
>
> Who? Someone is campaigning to gain recognition for Tony
> Strobl. The appeal claims that "for over 30 years, Tony
> Strobl was the artist of comic book stories for Western
> Publishing and the Disney Studio Program." He has "been
> neglected, eclipsed by the attention paid to the better-
> known Barks, Gottfredson and Murry." Strobl died recently.
> (Or, his "death was recently announced." Perhaps they've
> been keeping it a secret. This would explain why Rob Liefeld
> is unable to meet his deadlines: he's writing for
> Gladstone.) The anonymous campaigner has decided on Donald
> Duck in Mathmagicland as a rallying point. You can write,
> preferably politely, to Gladstone Comics, PO Box 2079,
> Prescott AZ 86302. I'll defer the worthiness of this cause
> to those who are more versed in duck lore than I.

Another one bites the dust then, *sigh*.  There have been near
contacts between Tony Strobl and Swedish "duckdom", and for awhile he
got visiting Swedes rather frequently, I think.  (Not me, though.)

There'll be a special panel "Disney Fandom 1993 -- A Rebirth?" at San
Diego later today (Friday) by the way.  I hope someone from the list
is there and will report from it.  Don, you are there at least, right?
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se