Grandma (again)

Fredrik Ekman d91fe at enceladus.pt.hk-r.se
Wed Dec 8 01:11:50 CET 1993

Nononononono! You got me all wrong, Mattias. Let me clarify:

1) I was trying to be sarcastic about the "biological mother" stuff.
Perhaps I should have added a few smileys to make that clear. :-)

2) I never meant to say that Don used this approach. I was trying to
refer to PREVIOUS works by OTHER writers. If you take the time to look
back to a letter I wrote just a few days ago, you will see that I am
very much aware that both Don and, before him, Carl Barks, had a clear
idea of who was the parent of whom.

3) I, too, think that Grandma is Donald's grandma. I have thought so
since long before I knew about Barks' family tree. But EVERYONE hasn't
ALWAYS thought so. See for example the previously discussed Italian
50th anniversary story.

4) Please clarify what you mean by "original references" to blood
relations between Scrooge and Grandma. Barks didn't create Grandma and
is no more original than the Italians. He may be better, but that's
not to the point at all. Did you mean Taliaferro? Well, what DID
Taliaferro have to say? I have previously claimed that he meant her to
be Donald's granny, but others seem to disagree...

5) Oh, and I never really meant that the Swedish translations should
carry any value in the Donaldistic research. On the contrary. But you
have to agree that it will be kind of confusing now that Lo$ will be
clarifying the true relationships to the average reader.

Well, I hope THAT makes sense in case my previous notes didn't... ;-)

  /F