Disney-comics digest #178.

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Thu Dec 9 14:14:16 CET 1993

Mattias wrote (to Don):

>     I thought lice was what injuns GREW to from nits; isn't that the
> "colourful" rationale for killing papooses (or is that papeese?) that some
> cavalry commander is supposed to have given his men before charging some camp?

It was in the TV-series "Centennial", where Skimmerhorn said "Nits grow lice"
while having two Indian children killed.
I don't know if this was based on some "real" line...

> the [Swedish] word "farbror" carries the same
> ideomatic meaning as "uncle", namely "elder male, held in some respect", or
> just "elder male".

In Holland, "Oom" (Uncle) has the same "elder male" meaning. And "Oma"
(Grandma) is commonly used for old women. My parents always called their
parents Granddad and Grandma when I was around, so it is very normal (in
Dutch) that Donald calls his _mother_ Grandma.

Fredrik:

> 3) I, too, think that Grandma is Donald's grandma. I have thought so
> since long before I knew about Barks' family tree. But EVERYONE hasn't
> ALWAYS thought so. See for example the previously discussed Italian
> 50th anniversary story.

And, as I said in a previous mail, all Dutch editors think Grandma is Donald's
mother (and Scrooge's sister). They even think Barks meant it to be this way.

--Harry.