Varia

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Thu Dec 9 15:29:12 CET 1993

Harry:

      About "Centennial"; yup, that's right! I remember that, too, now that you
mention, although from the original book by James Michener, not the
TV-adaption. And what "Centennial" calls "the Skimmerhorn massacre" is more or
less loosely based on a real-life massacre, I think in 1863 or 1864, mainly
involving Colorado militia and volunteers, and led, too, by some more or less
self-apointed "colonel" or "general" or sumpin'... If the EXPRESSION "nits grow
into lice" has any real-life connection, though, I don't really know.

Sorry, folks, 'bout the digression. Back to Barksics!!!

Don:

    Yeah! We have two words for uncle (and for aunt, and for our grandparents
too) in Swedish, signifying paternal/maternal affiliation. On the other hand,
we don't, as I think Germans and possibly the Danes (???) do, differentiate
(in our language, that is) between male and female cousin. But allmost all
uncle/nephew relations in Disney comics has been reversed in the Swedish
translations ever since they first began here in 1948. And that's just
something we will have to live with: that in Swedish translation, as well as
other translations, everything won't always make complete sense.

All me best ta ye!

Mattias