Disney-comics digest #179.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Thu Dec 9 23:43:18 CET 1993

PER:
	Yes, Barks' trip plans are changing. Those original plans were
never supposed to have been made public by Grandey. I think Egmont
quickly became a bit upset that the trip that they were paying for so
Barks could help them promote the comics was obviously being taken
control of by Grandey to make any plans he wished. It also looked like
Grandey's only intent was to promote Barks' current "collectibles"
projects, something that's naturally of no interest whatsoever to
Egmont. I think Egmont may have retaken control of the trip -- we'll see
what develops.

DAVID:
	The way you describe the early Taliaferro use of Grandma with
the reference to her being both the nephews' grandma AND Donald's, would
prove what I said about how the only original intent was to simply
introduce a "granny" type character into the daily strips for use in
gags. They didn't care whose grandmother she was or if she was really
anybody's grandmother. It wasn't until Barks started using her in the
more complex comics that the need arose to more clearly define such
characters. I'm glad you remind me of that first logo of "Donald's
Grandma Duck". That's proof enough for me.

LARS:
	Sure, when I started writing & drawing Duck stories in 1987, I
learned by copying Barks poses, as is or with any changes as suited my
needs. As time went on, I relied on them less... and while doing the Lo$
for the past 2 1/2 years, I haven't used my clip-files at all. However,
as a result of a Danish newspaper article about me that, though being
generally very favorable, claimed I draw Donald so poorly as to be
unrecognizeable, I have gone BACK to using my clip-file for the "60th
Birthday" story I'm currently drawing.
	I've already learned in my few years that, although I speak of
disliking my own work, some people will still criticize me like I think
I'm Norman Rockwell. I've learned that my only response to that sort of
thing is NOT to disagree with them. If they think I lack any imagination
or talent, fine... maybe they're right, who knows, not me. My only
advice to them is not to waste their time reading my stories. What else
can I say?
	But once again, someone here is talking about Duck fans having
negative reactions to my work. As I said before, I can easilly
understand that -- but I never see these remarks. Where are they said or
published? I could perhaps benefit from criticism, but not if I never
see it myself. Where did you see these comments?