Don-ducks

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Wed Dec 15 09:39:45 CET 1993

Don:

    I hope you didn't get me wrong, and think I tried to say that I think you
ought to copy Barks' art, or any one else's for that matter. I didn't. As i
wrote in a letter to you more'n a year ago, ONE of many things I appreciate
very much about your duck comics, is that they are so much your own - that you
put so much creative energy into them, and also that there seems to be a
constant striving in your work to integrate characters, story-line, dialogue
and art into a whole. You might feel that you fall short of this goal, and you
might not; but that doesn't lessen the impression I, as a reader, gets: that
you are creating something with not so little artistic value, because it is, or
seems to me to be, at the same time original AND aware of tradition, the result
of conscious and thoroughly thought through efforts with a very personal
"Rosaesque" feel to it. Even if it's only intended as ephemereal escapist
entertainment.

Mattias