Disney-comics digest #192.

James Williams James_Williams at ESS.NIAID.pc.niaid.nih.gov
Thu Dec 23 22:09:15 CET 1993

>I stopped buying Gladstone when they raised their prices to $0.95.  I
>did follow the news reports.

I'm the exact opposite.  When I was a kid, I tried reading Gold Key's
Disney Comics.  I hated them.  The only story I remember with any
fondness was 'Submarine Santa'.  The only reason I bought the
Gladstone issues is because I had heard so many good things about
Carl Barks in the CBG.

>Speaking of Marv Wolfman, what's the general opinion of Disney Adventures
>Magazine?

Almost all of the stories revolve around Disney Afternoon characters.
The only recent comic book character story was the two part Mickey
Mouse story 'Return to Blaggard Castle'.  This story was a classic
example of why Mickey isn't popular.

The quality of the other stories really vary.  Also, the whole
concept is hampered by the fact that the stories are digests.  This
means fewer panels per page and very little artwork.  In digests,
everything has to be blatant.

A side note which some (including Don) should find very interesting.
Disney Adventure Digest has started publishing characters/stories
which are not owned by Disney.  The first two items to recieve this
unique attention are William Van Horn's 'Nervous Rex' (Are these
new Nervous Rex stories -or- reprints from the old Fantagraphics
series?) and Jeff Smith's Bone.  The first three installments of
Bone will be reprints with some minor edits.  But Jeff does plan to
produce new Bone material for Disney Adventure Digest.  This is
the most attention that I have ever seen Disney give Comic Book
Creators.  It is a true shame that they cannot manage this type
of attention to their own creators.

Happy Holidays
James Williams