Goofy, the Disney studio actor

Wilmer Rivers rivers at seismo.CSS.GOV
Fri Dec 24 02:42:42 CET 1993

All this talk about Disney characters playing roles in "A Christmas
Carol", and the mixing of the comic book characters with their counter-
parts among the cartoon characters, has brought to mind a Goofy comic
book I read some 30 or more years ago.  It was in fact a "biography"
of Goofy, starting from his "life" as an average guy named Dippy Dawg,
through his discovery by a movie studio who signed him up and changed
his name to Goofy, his appearance in a string of features, culminating
in this self-examination of his life which was brought about by his
failure to win an Oscar on the night when all his Disney character
co-stars were winning ones for their roles alongside him.  This comic
book was therefore very explicitly taking the viewpoint that the Goofy
in the animated cartoons was in fact the Goofy from the comics, playing
a series of roles.  Does anyone out there remember just what this comic
book was?  Do we know who wrote and drew it?

Wilmer Rivers