Grandmas car.

Geir.Hasnes@DELAB.SINTEF.no Geir.Hasnes at DELAB.SINTEF.no
Wed Dec 29 11:00:17 CET 1993

>>     About where/with whom Grandma's car originated, I'm pretty confident it
>>was with Taliaferro - at least I seem to recall her driving a car similar to
>>the one she has in Barks' episodes in a fairly early Taliaferro strip... but I
>>might be wrong?! Any one else has any ideas about this?

A friend of mine who is an American car fanatic, proposed that Grandma
drove a Detroit Electric from the early 10s. We wrote an article in the
AmCar Magazine and later a book called Duckmobiles where we showed various
Barks drawings of Grandmas car and a Detroit Electric from 1909, the only
photograph we could find of that car.

I sent the book to Barks and he responded very nicely to it relating
stories to the various cars we had shown. He commented on Grandmas car that
it was indeed a Detroit Electric, and he got the idea because when he was
young, there was an old lady in his hometown who drove a Detroit Electric,
and thus it seemed to him that all old ladies had to drive electric because
they were so much easier to drive than petrol based cars, lacking gears and
all that.

I cant remember the earliest appearance of the car, but I dont think Barks
would have answered in that way if he hadnt hit upon the idea himself.

And think of the silly Egmont drawing people (cant call them artists)
including Vicar, who show Grandmas car with exhaust and a gas motor!

Geir Hasnes