Unca Walt... We hardly knew you!..

Torsten Wesley Adair torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu
Fri Jul 2 00:50:46 CEST 1993

On Thursday, 1 July 1993, Gilbert Milburn wrote:
> Hello again,
>      Last month a book was released by Marc Eliot entitled -- WALT
> DISNEY: HOLLYWOOD'S DARK PRINCE (Birch Lane Press, $21.95), that
> paints a very negative and down-right bizarre portrait of Mr.
> Disney.  This vicious biography claims Walt was a FBI stooge, a
> Nazi sympathizer, a cross dressing pill-popper and I don't know
> what all!!  I don't really know because I have only read a few
> reviews and not the book itself (and I don't plan to!)...  I know
> Don thinks that The WALT DISNEY COMPANY is cold and heartless, but
> I don't believe the founder was.  Still, I guess some people will
> write any kind of accusations, about anyone just to make a lousy
> buck... oh, well such is life!..

Sorry to disappoint you, Gilbert, but Walt Disney was an FBI informant,
supplying information to Washington about possible Communists.  Working
conditions were terrible enough at Walt Disney Studios that many animators
and employees went on strike.

I would like to recommend that you check out this book from a library,
read it, then draw your own conclusions.  Most of the reviews I have seen
have been favorable, so the research must be fairly solid.  Much of the
FBI information was from Freedom of Information Act requests, which are
edited photocopies of government files.

Torsten Adair	torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu	Omaha, NE, USA