Duck family tree

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Wed Mar 24 13:44:43 CET 1993

Andreas (hi, Andreas!) wrote:

> Futhermore, Dagobert is Donald's uncle so he must be Grandma Duck's brother.

Dagobert == Uncle Scrooge (for the non-Dutch, non-German members 8-)

> Apparently Dagobert never married, and Donald has a few cousins (e.g. his
> rival in obtaining Daisy's love, I don't know his English name)

Gladstone Glander (Guus Geluk in Dutch)

> so Grandma and Dagobert must have more sisters or brothers.

On the first pages of 'Race to the South Seas', a Barks story from 1949,
the relation between Donald and Scrooge, and Gladstone and Scrooge is
explained. I don't know it by head, but I can look it up. As far as I
remember, Gladstone is a "distant" cousin, i.e. a son of a cousin of
Donald's father, or so.

> I remember yet another another uncle of Donald, who is a scientist.

That must be Ludwig Von Drake (Dutch: Otto van Drakenstein). In his first
Dutch appearance, he was introduced as an uncle (it was a translation of
the first story of the USA comic 'Ludwig Von Drake' #1). But in later
stories, no reference to that was made, he was just a character like
Gyro Gearloose (Willie Wortel in Dutch), not related to any Duck.

> And there's another cousin who wears a green woolen cap.

This is the famous Fethry Duck (there has been some discussion about
him in the early days of this mailing list 8-) (Dutch: Diederik Duck).
I understand his cap is not always _green_ in other countries; one
Englishman once asked for foreign names of "the guy with the red woolen
cap".

> So as far as I know (please correct me or elaborate)
>
> Grandma, Dagobert,'the Scientist",...   are siblings
> Grandma + 'Unknown husband'            produced    Donald and Dumbella
> 'Unknown sibling of Grandma` + husband produced    Donald's cousins
> Dumbella + `unknown husband'           produced    Huey, Loui and Dewey.
>
> Please let me know, if there's more known about the Duck family line.

There is at least one family tree published in a book about Donald Duck's
life (published in Holland in 1984 - or was it 1987?), the story and
tree are of Italian origin. In the story, Scrooge is Grandma's brother, and
Donald is an _adopted_ child (Grandma never got married).

There must be other 'origin' stories of the Duck family...
I remember one story where Grandma _did_ have a husband...

BTW: could you tell me in which stories D(umb)ella actually appears? I can't
remember having seen here anywhere.

--Harry.

Harry Fluks                    ()_()     Dutch Disney comics freak
PTT Research, Leidschendam      (_)      H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
"Yeah... I've _heard_ of coral barques!"