More about relatives

Fredrik Ekman d91fe at ide.ide.hk-r.se
Wed Mar 24 00:27:36 CET 1993

Torsten Adair wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Mar 1993, Fredrik Ekman wrote:
>> >If donald is Huey,Dewey and Louie's uncle then who is their father???
>> Actually, DD is _not_ HD&L's father's brother, but rather their sister's
>> brother. It is, however, a bit more complicated than that...
>       You mean "their mother's brother", right?  And what about Webby?

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Isn't Webby the daughter of the fat lady
that keeps $crooge's house (whatever her name). I don't think she's related
to the rest of the ducks.

Torsten again:

>What about Grandma Duck and Uncle Scrooge?

Grandma Duck was introduced by Al Taliaferro and he introduced her as
_Donald's_ grandmother. Later, however, Carl Barks revitalized the old
lady, and I have seen several comics where she is referred to as $crooge's
sister. If this is the case, we can assume that she is Hewey, Dewey and
Louie's grandmother and in that case she must be Donald's mother (unless
we accept the theory of Donald's cousin Della).

Harry Fluks wrote:

>There must be other 'origin' stories of the Duck family...

I have read at least two. One American that was published in Sweden in the
late 60's (I think). The Swedish title translates to "This is you life,
Donald Duck". The other was published by Gutenberghus for Donald's 50th
birthday and was created by an Italian artist. Do I remember his name? No,
of course not, but he is one of my favourite DD artists. *sigh* In both
these, so far as I remember, Grandma Duck is Donald's stepmother.

Andreas Gammel wrote:

>Apparently Dagobert never married, and Donald has a few cousins

No, Donald does not have a few cousins. Donald has _lots_ of cousins! And
so does $crooge and HLD. It seems that as soon as one of the Disney comic
creators needed a relative for some purpose, he invented one, rather than
trying to find some older that would fill his purpose. For this reason it
will never be possible to create a complete (or even nearly complete)
family tree for the Duck family.

Rich wrote:

>On the tree is listed Donald, Huey, Dewey, Louie, Gyro, Gus, Scrooge, Grandma,

This is the first time I have seen Gyro mentioned as a relative to any of
the other characters. What is his relation? Are there any other references
to him as a relative? I don't think Barks intended him as a relative.

One other thing: Luigi, if I ever meet you in real life, I will strangle you
slowly! That is, unless you tell us all about Mickey's wedding _at_once_! ;)

  /Fredrik Ekman