Relatives

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Mon May 3 09:33:56 CEST 1993

I concede that there really is nothing contradictory about the
relationships in "Trail of the Unicorn".  It isn't even possible that
Barks hadn't made up his mind yet about it yet, as Barks did "Race to
the South Seas" before "Trail of the Unicorn", so I was not only
wrong, but utterly wrong.

Don> In truth, Gladstone is NOT a relative of $crooge McDuck Gladstone
Don> is the son of $crooge's sister's sister-in-law.  Is that a
Don> relative?

Torsten> Wouldn't US's sister's sister-in-law be US's sister-in-law?

I don't know what scope the in-law words usually have, but that's how
Barks (or at least Sylvester Shyster, Scrooge's personal lawyer) uses
them.  In "Race to the South Seas" with the revelations about the
relationship between Scrooge, Donald, and Gladstone:

	DD: And my uncle on my mother's side is Scrooge McDuck, [...]
	GG: So what?  Scrooge McDuck is *my* mother's brother's
	    brother-in-law, [...]

that lawyer asks Gladstone "Say, aren't you Gladstone Gander, son of
Scrooge McDuck's sister-in-law?"  Later in the same story Gladstone is
called "nephew-in-law" of Scrooge.  If that is a relative?  They all
see it that way anyhow.  Donald and Gladstone are arguing about who of
them is Scrooge's favourite relative.  Compare also WDC 155 where
Scrooge says that "my only relatives are my nephew, Donald, and his
nephews, Huey, Dewey, and Louie, and my distant nephew, Gladstone
Gander! ...  What a collection!"

But at least he makes that distinction between nephew and "distant
nephew".  At the end of "Race to the South Seas" Gladstone calls
Scrooge "Uncle Scrooge" to which Scrooge replies "I'm *not* your
uncle".  That explains that it takes awhile before Gladstone dares to
call him uncle again.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"