Disney...

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Wed May 5 21:48:08 CEST 1993

<Don writes:>
> (......)  I'd
>be quite upset by how little I'm paid for my (popular?) stories, and
>how I make not a cent in royalties no matter how many companies use it
>or how well my comics sell... but I KNEW that would be the way it
>would be. It still is far from fair. I don't know of any other
>creative people, whether in movies or TV or music or writing or
>newspaper strips or most all other comic books who are flat-out ROBBED
>of their rights the way Disney comic book freelancers are. But that's
>the way it is.

I've been hearing for quite a while about the evils of Disney Comics -
forgive my ignorance, but is anything any different in the U.S. now
that Gladstone is publishing the books rather than Disney?  Do they
pay royalties at all?

>In Norway, one of my stories won "Best Comic of the Year" over
>everything else in the world!

!! Which story was this?

>Disney comics are the pariah of American comics, those which
>comics fans are taught to shun.

Hmm - does this put you in the same category as those who did Tintin,
Asterix, and Little Nemo... ?

>Voting for Disney comics in American
>award polls is futile and laughable to any typical American comics fan
>of 1993.

Perhaps, but that won't stop me from voting... :-)

mark semich - mas at csa.bu.edu

P.S - Does anyone know when Gladstone is going to start
	publishing Don Rosa's Life of Scrooge??
	I'm really looking forward to this...