General Stuff about the list

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Thu May 13 03:31:38 CEST 1993

	Dear Rich (and other readers),

	I know full well about "Bellhop Donald" and the Goofy sit-com
shorts of the 1950s-60s.  Pete's "son" in "Canvas Back Duck" (1954)
was in fact his boxing trainer, wearing a little kid _mask_;
underneath, he was a cigar-chewing dog who only ACTED like a little
prig to lure Donald into the ring with his 'uncle'.  (Uncle, not
father;  but in reality, neither...!)  However, Pete's son did appear
in "Bellhop Donald," you're right.  However, he seems no relation to
PJ as he's an obnoxious little devil who you'd love to see spanked
(and who gets that done, by Donald, at the short's conclusion!).  As
for the Goofy sit-com cartoons, Goofy played a 'role' in them:  Mr.
George G. Geef, as was indicated many times.  By that time, most of
Goofy's cartoons were situations in which he played roles and acted
only marginally like himself (the most obvious example of the latter
being 1950's "Motor Mania," in which neither aspect of his split
personality (Mr. Walker/Mr. Wheeler) talked or acted like the real
Goof).
	Goofy also looked different in those later cartoons.  His two
big teeth first became rabbit-like buck teeth, then disappeared.  His
eyes got smaller from the huge, white expanse they have basically
remained in the comics, too (I find the classic version infinitely
more appealing).  His jowls also got much smaller.  All of those
changes except the teeth have been used in DA's "Goof Troop," this
being their first use in a long time.  By the way, not only is Goofy
Jr.'s hair changed from brown to black but his nose is black, his ears
are longer and (perhaps most unattractively) he's been given Goofy's
teeth, as well.  I think the idea was to make him slightly older here.
But does it work?
	Pete's also changed in GT;  he looks, in fact, like he did in
the mid-1950s cartoons (almost more canine than catlike due to the
reduced amount of black hair on the upper face), as well.  The idea
seems to have been to pick up where those '50s cartoons left off, but
I wouldn't have done THAT.  Oh, well...
	Do you notice that no one knows what color to ink in the
characters in GT?  In some scenes the characters' necks, arms and legs
are black;  in others, Caucasian-flesh-color (which I find ugly).
Several times Max, Goofy and Pete have been seen without shirts;
sometimes they're Caucasian, other times with the more usual black
skin.  In the comics they do of this series in the unfortunate _Disney
Adventures_ magazine, the skin is inconsistently colored as well,
often within the same story.
	Having done dialogs for Disney, I visited the studio twice.
Guess what?  Their GT model sheets vary, too!

	Well, I gotta go.  I have to write a paper, and can't really
Goof off any longer (get it?  Hyuck!)

	Your friend,

	David Gerstein