Digest #25

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Fri May 21 14:56:42 CEST 1993

COMMENTS ON #25:

	Not much new here...

	As for the possibility of Disney allowing my Peeweegah story, "The War of the Wendigo", to be used in light of the current use of
"Secret of Hondorica" -- surely we all see the vast difference in the level of "political correctness" involving a tale about
Amazonian natives and AMERICAN INDIANS. What Disney weasels fear is that SINGLE letter from some hothead who probably wouldn't have
even read the Peeweegah story. It's far less likely that any natives in the Upper Amazon region would ever see a copy of "Hondorica"
, much less write Disney a crank letter. They don't want to make waves with anything as "stupid and useless and unprofitable" as
comic books.

	If Disney NOW has a growing file of comic story photostats, it must only be because they have been building it during the past
6 years by demanding copies of everything Another Rainbow has used, and by getting the recently liquidated Dell stuff. Prior to
that, they couldn't have cared less. Now, not having ever seen what they might have, I can only DOUBT that Disney has unretouched
proofs of those MOC stories "Darkest Africa" or "Race to the South Seas". As far as I know, those just don't exist anymore. Any fool
who looks at the recent uses of "Darkest Africa" can see that it's all poorly done tracings off of old comic pages (or off heavilly
damaged proofs?) -- whatever the case, it's quite clearly NOT Barks art! As for "South Seas", that bit of forgery is so well done that
I don't think even Another Rainbow ever bothered to admit it -- but anytime you've seen "South Seas" reprinted, it's Dan Jippes
art you're looking at, not Barks. I don't see how Disney could have anything that Another Rainbow or Egmont or Oberon doesn't,
since THOSE are the sources for what it DOES have. The fact that it's housed in a lousy TRAILER tends to suggest how recent an
acquisition it is and how much respect they have for it. Egmont keeps its files in an underground VAULT.