Reply on Rosa's Re: Digest #24

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon May 24 12:31:16 CEST 1993

It was only a matter of time, it had to happen once: I replied a mail
to Don Rosa instead of forwarding it to the list.
Here it is:

----- Begin message to: 72260.2635 at COMPUSERVE.COM  24-May-93

From:	athena.research.ptt.::harry			24-MAY-1993 12:30
To:	72260.2635 at compuserve.com
Subj:	Reply on Rosa's Re: Digest #24

Don Rosa:
> 	Yes, that's right, "War of the Wendigo", my long Peeweegah sequel, will
> NEVER be used in America simply because it involves Indians.

But you also said in that interview that you hoped Gladstone would be less
narrow-minded. Does this mean you are sure even Gladstone won't print the
story?

> 	Harry: I think I have the Dutch comic that used "On a Silver Platter",
> but I'd better check since you should know such stuff better
> than me.

I have never seen a non-American version of the story. According to our
Don Rosa Index, it hasn't been printed in Scandinavia, either.

> But why would they NOT use that story, particularly since I did it
> for THEM?

I didn't say they wouldn't use it, only that it will be printed in Scandinavia
*first*. It's a matter of cost: Holland lets Egmont do the colouring, and
then they buy the story back *with* colours. It's cheaper than colouring
the story themselves... (I got this information from Dutch editor Thom Roep)

(BTW: the Dutch publisher is not "Oberon" anymore. Oberon was part of the
largest Dutch publisher VNU. VNU got rid of their comic publishing parts, and
Disney comics got to "De Geillustreerde Pers".
Does anyone know why Gutenberghus is now called Egmont?)

> They've used some that were far worse,
> including those that they had written FOR me (which were REAL stinkers).

I don't think they were written specially for you. They just let some people
write scripts (like Jan Kruse), and decide later which artist should do
the drawings. In your case, one of the scripts is from 1985 (looking at the
code), while you drew the story a few years later, I guess.

> That "On a Silver Platter" was (in my opinion) my very
> best 10-page gag story!

It is! No question about that! (the story is "stranger than fiction"... 8-)

--Harry.

Harry Fluks                      ()_()     Dutch Disney comics freak
PTT Research, Leidschendam (NL)   (_)      H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
"Yeah... I've _heard_ of coral barques!"

----- End forwarded message