French "Darkest Africa"

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon May 24 13:02:06 CEST 1993

Per:
> (I'm sending Harry a copy of this.)

Well, since I am a member of the list, I get a copy anyway... 8-)

I wrote some months ago, about the Dutch 'complete Barks' books:
> They also included a French copy of the page the panel was on,
> so the story must have been published in France sometime.

David:
>	Most important is that GLADSTONE will want to know where the
> French version appeared.  They are apparently (according to some Comic
> Buyers' Guide issue) going to put all the MOCS in one album soon, and
> I'm sure they'd rather restore the dialog (and, presumably, redo
> Disney's required changes) to the original Barks art rather than
> Jippes' and Vlottes' version.

The books don't say where the French publication was from. But the page
was re-formatted (the French always reformat their comics: they have a standard
of 5 rows of panels per page in "Le Journal de Mickey") and the copies
were very bad. I know Per has photocopies of the story that look much
better...

Maybe Gladstone can re-edit the story like they did with the "Atom bomb"
story (also published in one of the Disney Comics comics): they took
Jippes's version and put some original Barks panels back. In that way,
they could replace the worst Vlottes panels by Barks ones...
(of course it would be better if they published an 'all Barks' version,
but I don't think the available copies are all acceptable for a colour
reprint).

BTW: if a CBGuide is already announcing the album, it may be too late
to change the contents of it...

--Harry.

Harry Fluks                      ()_()     Dutch Disney comics freak
PTT Research, Leidschendam (NL)   (_)      H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
"Yeah... I've _heard_ of coral barques!"