The Gottfredson Quote Quiz

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon May 24 13:38:03 CEST 1993

David:
> I mentioned that the stories I was using
> had all been printed in this country since 1986 (with the exception of
> one, from Abbeville).  This one was in WDC&S 585, just last month.  I
> assumed it would be fresh in people's minds.  I didn't think of
> INTERNATIONAL MAIL slowing down Harry's and Per's receipt of the
> issue, however.

It didn't slow down: the USA comics are available in Amsterdam 4 days
after they are issued.
But since I have almost all Gottfredson stories in a Dutch version, I
don't buy the USA versions. That's why I didn't read WDC&S 585.
(And, as I told you, it's an extra handicap in answering these quizzes:
I have to find a Dutch text that matches the English most...)

In fact, I do have some USA versions, because I bought the Gladstone book
"Mickey Mouse in Color".

> (...) I guess most hardcore Disney fans
> bought Gladstone's MM 244, the sixtieth anniversary edition (...)

No, I missed that one! I only got to buying Gladstone comics in 1989 or so,
so I missed a lot of 'early' Gladstones. I'm still looking for that MM one,
and some other comics with Rosa stories in them...

> 8. "I'll turn on this gas and end it once and for all!  ...Goodbye,
> Minnie!  Goodbye, cruel world!"
> 	Both of you got this one, the story quoted being "MM vs. Mr.
> Slicker and the Egg Robbers" (1930).  This story has never been
> reprinted in full in America, but Gladstone printed a sample strip in
> MM in Color, which seems to be where both of you saw it.

Correct (though it's published in Holland, too).

> 	However, if the quotes got you reading Gottfredson again, my
> dirty plot is revealed.  :-)  To quote Magica de Spell:  "Hee, hee,
> hee!"

Well, in fact, I never *stopped* reading Gottfredson in the first place...

--Harry.

Harry Fluks                      ()_()     Dutch Disney comics freak
PTT Research, Leidschendam (NL)   (_)      H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
"Yeah... I've _heard_ of coral barques!"