Digest #28

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Tue May 25 15:42:42 CEST 1993

COMMENTS ON DIGEST #whatsit:

	Harry:  Now that you posted your private message to me, shouldn't you also post my private answer to your private message? I'm not
implying that I think wouldn't want you to, but no one sees my answers to your comments.
	I'm still confused by your description of how this first-Egmont-then-Oberon story printing system works. Maybe I haven't really
seen an Oberon version of "Silver Platter", but there WAS an Oberon version of "Pied Piper of Duckburg", another tale I did FOR
Oberon... and there has only recently been an Egmont version. More confusing, when Egmont requested the photostats of "Piper"
Roep, he sent the art but not the SCRIPT because he said Oberon had never used the story and he'd mislaid the script (yet they
HAD used it). And what's slightly irritating is that when they DID use "Piper", Oberon failed to put even one line of text to
explain the unique story behind that tale.
	Oh, and of course I know those other Oberon stories were not written JUST for ME -- but you know what I meant.
	And again.... what are we supposed to call Oberon now?

UPDATE on this business about what sorta photostat files Disney Studios has of the Disney comics from Dell and Gold Key and around
the world. I knew what I was told by Gladstone several years ago, so when Byron Erickson called me from Copenhagen today, I
asked him about it again. And I was right (if this is what I'd said and I think it was): until Gladstone was in business, Disney
had NO files pertaining to comic books. Whenever some publisher somewhere would order a story through Disney (rather than direct
from Western or Egmont), Disney would simply forward the stats and not give a tinker's dam about the stuff. But in 1986 they
began a policy of, when they passed along a photostat order, they would KEEP the stat that Western or whoever sent them and send
copies of IT to whoever ordered the story. The only photostat stories in Disney's files are there as a result of other publisher's
efforts in archiving and preserving. As is one of their company policies, Disney finds a way to exploit the @#$&% daylights out
other people's work, after which the world assumes it's DISNEY'S work all along.