Additions to the changed stories list

Jon Cato Lorentzen jonlo at ifi.uio.no
Mon Nov 22 17:40:57 CET 1993

Another addition to the list..

In the story where Donald becomes obsessed with fire, and runs around
all over Duckburg makin fires (square fires, round fires etc. :)), I believe
there was inserted a badly drawn panel in the end, where Donald wakes
up in bed. Making the entire story a bad dream.

As this is my first posting to the group (I've been lurking for months),
I might as well introduce myself:

My name is Jon C. Lorentzen, I am 21 years old, and I've been reading Duck
comics since I was four. I've been an avid collecter ever since, with only
a slight break in my collection in 88-89 when DuckTales dominated the
series. Being a poor student, I desperately try to save enough money
to keep buying the Carl Barks Library in Colour.

Now that I've bored you to death I'll go on to comment Lo$:

HERE BE SPOILERS:

I believe I managed to discover a pun in the African part of the series,
that was totally lost in the translation. I'm talking about
when Scrooge helps Gloomheart up on his cart, Gloomheart says something
like (Translated from Norwegian) "I am a Boer" and Scrooge answers
"I'm sure I've met worse". In English the pun is obvious (Boer/Bore),
but the Norwegian translation just translated it directly, and missed the
whole point. How did the Swedes and Danes handle this pun? And did I
translate it correctly, or am I far off here?

Jon C. Lorentzen
University of Oslo