Disney-comics digest #122.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Sat Oct 9 02:17:46 CET 1993

	Hi, Folks!

	Don on his "War of the Wendigo":
"[Gladstone might slip it by] Disney pretty soon. Besides, all this
YEARNING to see this story is a bit misplaced, I fear -- it's not that
GREAT a story! When people go to such trouble to see it then finally
read it, I'm afraid they'll be disappointed!"

	Well, Don, I'm not ashamed to say that I think "War of the
Wendigo" as I read it in German is debatably my favorite of your
stories, with only the possible exception of "His Majesty McDuck".
Funny how Akers MacCovet in that latter story looks so much like a
combination of Gottfredson villains Sylvester Shyster and Eli
Squinch...

	Since, Don, you've told me you don't want praise without
criticism, I'll mention that when the villain (what's his name in
English?  He certainly isn't Argus McSwine!) takes the blowtorch to
the trees, some of the long shots of him are a little stiff.  But by
contrast, I think that you have a better Scrooge in this story than
ever before, particularly that scene where he shoves the Peeweegah out
of the way (German:  "I'll do it *myself!*").

	BTW... Don, I have no way of getting another copy of "Wendigo"
in German, but if you really want one, I can at least Xerox mine when
I'm home for Winter break.

	And I can also Xerox you part one of the German Life of Scrooge,
which came in at the Santa Barbara import shop over the summer while I
was at home.

	A few other Rosa comments of my own:

	(A)  Favorite short story:  "On a Silver Platter"
	(B)  Reason for (A):  The scheme involving the platter is
completely unique.  I enjoyed the use of the detectives.  And the dime
isn't shown as the source of genuine "luck" (i. e. "For Old Dime's
Sake")... but I know Rosa loathes that motif, so I have no fear of it
turning up in his work.
	(C)  Least favorite story:  "Super Snooper Strikes Again"
	(D)  Reason for (C):  Story is drawn too realistically for me
to laugh comfortably at what happens to Donald.  Also, the story
isn't different enough from the story it was a sequel to.

	There, I've thrown in some criticism so you'll know I'm not
fault-blind when it comes to Rosa stories!  But pretty close to
it... ;-)

	Just scripted another Danish story with Gladstone in mind, that
being D90283, as I call it "The Duck Who Cried Wolf."  A Vicar
story... Scrooge trying to test the loyalty and bravery of his staff
with a series of false alarms and slowly driving Donald crazy.  Donald
decides to get even, at *exactly* the wrong time!

	Here's why I'm bringing that up.  In German the story appeared
in issue 7/1992.  Presumably in Denmark, etc., too.  I want foreign
readers to look at it.  I found that the story's major flaw was that it
appeared spread too thin, moving a little on the slow side.  What do
you think of my removing the the eighth page of the story to make it
run a little quicker?

	I've also added a new angle to the narration of the story
which was not in the original, which I think improves it a lot.  Just
wait, folks...

	Can someone make a list of the stories Marco Rota has done for
Egmont?  Since they're being done for Denmark, not Italy, this means
that they'll finally be short enough for Gladstone to use a lot of.
Does someone have some code numbers?

	By the way, John Clark promises a Daan Jippes Duck story in
WDC&S 590.  I have no idea what it will be...  but he has my list of
the Dutch stories that Gladstone already printed (Disney printed *no*
Dutch stories), so I think it's something new to the U. S.

	That's all for now, folks.

	Yours,

	David Gerstein
	"I admire your country so much I've decided to *seize power!*
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>