Disney-comics digest #123.

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Sun Oct 10 06:53:05 CET 1993

>From: David A Gerstein <David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu>
>	Mark Semich quotes a Gladstone lettercol:
>	["Scepter of Doom" in US 267] "...was credited to... Barks, and
>still generates letters from confused readers.  In fact, the story is
>a foreign tale written by Lars Enocksen and Unn Print-Pahlson, and
>drawn by Vicar..."
>
>	Looks like that lettercol had its own miscredit in it.  That
>should be Unn Prinz-Pahlson... a "z" at the end of the first name, not
>a "t".

Sorry, the typo was mine.  The name quoted is indeed "Unn Printz-
Pahlson." (Yes, PrinTZ, both a t *and* a z)  So far, this is three
different spellings... :-)

>	On Eliot's Dark Prince book:

I have reservations about continuing this thread, as I don't think
that Eliot's book has much to do with Disney Comics, but here goes:

>	[Note:  I am not trying to insult Mark Semich by the following
>very harsh criticism for Eliot...  it's about that book, not he who
>posted comments about it to the list.]

Likewise :-)

>	Eliot is also misinformed about the comics.  He presents a
>panel from Gottfredson's 1940 "Bar-None Ranch" story and, because it
>has two crossed musical notes that look vaguely like a swastika, Eliot
>assumes that no one but active fascist Walt Disney could have done it,
>and that hence Walt must have made the strip in question.

Actually, Eliot explicitly states that Walt had absolutely *nothing* to
do with the comic strips, and at this point, very little to do with
the animation.  The only person who ever assumes that the notes were a
swastika (and that Disney himself had anything to do with it) was the
bozo who wrote the letter of complaint about it to the FBI.  It was at
this point (according to Eliot) that Hoover himself closed Walt's file.
I believe that the only reason that Eliot mentions this incident is
because the letter and panel are actually *in* Walt Disney's FBI file,
and because its receipt by the Feds (and the preposterousness of its
complaint) prompted the closing of said file.

>	Can someone describe the contents of WDC&S 588 and US 283 to
>me in the next digest?  And particularly the nature of the Mickey
>story in WDC&S... are the strips sideways, and if so, how many to a
>page?  I wonder how much this printing of "The World of Tomorrow"
>differs from Gladstone's old printing five years ago.

Spoilers...

I haven't seen Gladstone's previous printing of "The World of
Tomorrow" but all in all, WDC&S 588 is fantabulous.  It contains
"Spotless Don" by William Van Horn and part one of "The World of
Tomorrow."  The strips are sideways, two rows to a page.

US 283 contains - Uncle Scrooge in "Foxy Relations" by Carl Barks,
		- Gyro Gearloose in "Skate Lake" (D7524) by Phillippe
		  Le Bars/Jack Sutter, Bardon and Santanach, scripted
		  by Gabner.
		- The Beagle Boys in "A Hard Day's Thieving" (D8964) by
		  Paul Halas/Les Lilley and Millet, scripted by Gabner.
		- Uncle Scrooge in "Old Friend" (D4674) by Jack Sutter
		  and Bolster, again scripted by Gabner.

>	If someone has the guts to dig through the letter columns and
>describe one or two of the more interesting letters, I'd like to know
>about them.

Well, I don't want to give *everything* away to those who haven't had
a chance to read the issues yet, but there was one letter from someone
who asked about the family relations between HDL, Donald, Gladstone
and Scrooge.  Gladstone's reply:

"According to a rough family tree Barks drew up in the early 1950s
.... Scrooge has two sisters, Matilda and Hortense.  Hortense married
Quackmore Duck, son of Grandma Duck, and they begat Donald and his
sister, Thelma, the mother of Huey, Dewey and Louie.  Gladstone, by
the way, is the orphan son of Grandma's daughter Daphne; he was
adopted by Matilda and her husband, Goostave Gander."