William Van Horn (was Re: And the puns roll on...)

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Thu Oct 14 04:28:03 CET 1993

David A Gerstein <David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu> waxes on William Van Horn:

>	One critical comment:  I find that Van Horn tends to do a
>story now and then which just has too many weird elements in it to be
>taken seriously.  Still, he has lots of good stories.

I'd have to say that William Van Horn is one of my favorite Duck-men.
(The other being Don Rosa.  I can't really pick a favorite between the
two, as I find them to be too different for comparison.)  I would have
to disagree - I *like* the extra-weird stuff that Van Horn puts in his
stories.

I haven't read *all* of them - I'm still working on collecting all of
his back issues.  So far, my favorite piece is "Out of Harmony's Way"
from WDC&S 587.  This one had me rolling on the floor with nonstop
laughter.

>	On the whole, though, I really enjoy most of WH's works, and
>would be interested to find what others think are his strengths,
>weaknesses, triumphs and flops.  We seem to hardly mention WH around
>here, which is odd considering that he continues to bring relatively
>frequent duck stories and that many of them are good ones.

I really can't analyze what it is about his work that I like, but his
background in animation provides for fantastic pacing; his fun choice
of words makes reading his dialogue like going on a roller-coaster
ride; and something about his artwork just seems classically funny.

I wonder why he always seems to follow a mosquito around in each
story...