Misc. comments on Re: Disney-comics digest #134.

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Sat Oct 23 07:02:06 CET 1993

Better late than never:  Many "Thank you's!" to those who answered my
queries about the origins of "Duckburg" and "Calisota".

I find it patently absurd that Gladstone wasn't aware of the existence
of "Guardians of the Lost Library" until recently.  Is Gladstone only
aware of stories once they are already published, and only in Danish
comics to boot?  Haven't they heard of the telephone?  And if they
*must* be limited to what has already come out, why don't they
subscribe to the Disney comics from *every country on the planet*?
Who knows what they could be missing?

And has anyone told them about Don Rosa's "Of Ducks and Dimes and
Destinies"?  Or do we have to wait a couple of more years for this
one?

I'd love to see a Don Rosa story for Donald's 60th!  (And I certainly
agree with him that I *don't* want to see the "Donald from an egg"
story!)  Just which issue is this celebration scheduled for?

Reading the Al Taliaferro strips currently running in WDC&S (where
Donald is referred to by the adult Mickey and Clarabelle as a "bad
boy" and he seems to be peers with Mickey's nephews) I was struck by
how young he was in these stories.  I had been assuming that this was
the same Donald that was later saddled with HD&L and then joined the
Barks Duck Universe.  Yet the little boy Donald looks like a small
mini-Donald, *not* like HD&L, as the young Scrooge does in LoS.  A
potential contuity problem for doing a young Donald story?

-- Mark Semich, mas at csa.bu.edu