et alia

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen lrn at daimi.aau.dk
Wed Oct 27 12:52:50 CET 1993

Another two week's worth of digests have reached me.
I'll skip the quotes, to make it short (don't want to scare off the
little girlies.)

THE DUCK WHO CRIED WOLF:

I'm personally sick and tired of Vicar, Branca, Colomer, and Santanach,
but if you find them new-improved-super I'll bear with you, David.
Gail Renards plot for this story is boring and gag-less, using a
predictable 1-2-3 plot linearity, all too common in Danish stories.

I did admittedly have a few laughs over some of the Beagle Boys stories
that Disney published, and on comparing saw that the new scripter had
filled in some jokes, which were sorely missing in Danish.
Do these generic plots not only lack puns but also jokes as such?
If your version comes through, I'll read it again, but in Danish... no.
On the subject of cutting pages... read on.

ROTA:

DDA #23's 26 page Rota story (coded D 5393) is a massacre on the recent
36 paged 'Danish' version (coded I-277). Massive re-lay-out, halfpage
sceneries cut by the dozen and (politically correct?) script changes...
This used to be the fate of Barks stories in Scandinavia in the '70es.

The time-machine story seems to have been published in a Norwegian
album a year ago.

'AA paa dybt vand' is correctly translated by Geir(?). Danish titles are
full of these double entendres.
In Norway it was titled 'Aquanauten', in Sweden 'Paa djupt vatten'.
It stars a voluptuous female professor of oceanography.

A new story is D 92513, 16 pages: The duck that shrunk (the teaspoonman)
Voodoo-Hoodoo revisited. Features an even voluptuouser airline hostess.

HARRY; Some notes on the newly updated lists:

The Rosa list looks a little messy. The numbering is a dumb idea!
It looks like you used some of my info, but you forgot two codes for LS
stories and the Guardians story code D 92380, i.e. slam-bang in the
middle of the Life series.

I will only type the Danish Index from 1983 to now, previous data will
have to come from Martin Olesen's index, scanned or otherwise.
Don't hold your breath though. The idea is growing on me, so other
regular titles may be added, though my archives are far from complete.
I am very interested in information on modern Italian creators.

I just ordered a years subscription to Dutch Donald Duck for 178,60
guilders, almost exactly 100 US $. I was informed that Mickey Maandbladt
is no longer published. True? And is Donald Duck Extra it's successor?
I'm still waiting to hear from Finland. Thanks for the address, Henri.

The Karp/Taliaferro DD project, which was abandoned in the US, is on the
road, at least in Denmark. Every year around christmas, Egmont publishes
a B/W paperback with a whole year's worth of dailies (not Sundays) for a
price of 65,- DKr. = ten bucks.

The Danish title of Gisle's 'Donaldismen' is 'Andelogien.'
It was translated by Freddy Milton.

Rosa's duck family-tree was published as a poster in Norwegian DD 27/93
with the portraits as stickers in the following issues. But why does
April, May, and June have *pointed* beaks. They're not chickens!

Since no-one dared to ask:
'Ferioli' is not Danish for 'Have A Nice Day.'
It is the name of a (no, *the*) most promising (Italian?) Mouse artist,
appearing regularily in Scandinavian issues lately. Issue 44 starts a
two-parter about gorillas. Special guest star is Sigourney Weaver.
If US publishers lack decent Mouse material, they could defininitely
do a lot worse. Check out my Danish index for some story codes.
Go for it, David!

Mazzucchelli.