What's happened to Gladstone?

Gilbert Milburn gilbert at unix.campbellsvil.edu
Thu Sep 2 06:39:49 CEST 1993

Greetings,

        Here's another one near and dear to me as well...

Mark Semich <mas at cs.bu.edu> said:
> It's been quite a while since Gladstone has published any Don
> Rosa duck stories here in the states.  Additionally, all of the
> forthcoming releases listed in Previews seem to be Barks or Van
> Horn stories.

        Tell me about it, WE (Don's fellow countrymen) would like to
see his stuff just as MUCH as the Egmont countries do!!

Mark:
> Mr. Barks and Mr. Van Horn are, of course, extremely talented
> individuals in their own right and I don't intend to slight their
> accomplishements; however, *why* aren't any of Mr. Rosa's stories
> being published?!?  It's extremely disapointing whenever a new
> Gladstone book comes in and I anxiously check for a Don Rosa
> story only to discover that no, there isn't one this time,
> either.

        I know this feeling *well* and because I have been following
Don's work for a number of years the *DISAPPOINTMANT/FRUSTRATION*
is unquestionably biting and strongly resented!!!  Granted his
covers pop-up from time-to-time... but that is NOT enough!

Mark:
> Does anyone know the reason for this obvious lack on Gladstone's
> part?  Do they have some anti-Rosa policy or something?

        It would certainly seem so, (I *HOPE NOT*) I even remember Per
once had this to say, when I asked a question about the Life of
$crooge...

> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 21:43:50 +0200
> From: Per Starback <starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE>
> Subject: This and that

> I think you can be pretty sure that Gladstone will print all of
> Rosa's Egmont stories.  He's good and, perhaps more to the point,
> a fan-favourite (not totally unrelated! :-)

> But if your or anyone else really has to own comic books in
> Swedish with Rosa's stories please mail me about it and I'll see
> if I can find any.

Mark:
> I had been under the impression that there is a virtual back-log
> of his stories that have been published over-seas that are just
> waiting to see print here.  And I'm getting very blue in the face
> holding my breath wanting to read them...

        Yes, there's definitely IS and it sure would be NICE to see
the @#*&^+~%}{=! things (WOULDN'T IT!)!!!

Harry Fluks <H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl> then said:
> One possibility is that they're saving the Rosa stories for the
> winter season, when they can sell more comics. In 1991 (if I
> remember well), Disney Comics published no Rosa at all in the
> summer, and then a Rosa story in almost every issue in November,
> December, January.

        Let's hope you're RIGHT about that Harry!

Harry:
> On the other hand, apart from the now famous "War of the
> Wendigo", all Rosa  stories that are not published yet in the
> USA, are "Life Of Scrooge" stories. Maybe they have special plans
> with that series and are waiting for Don to finish the last part.

        Yep, we in the states will never get to read this one (unless
Gladstone has a change of heart) and it will be ages before the
"Life Of Scrooge" stories ever surface HERE!  As for the much
celebrated "War of the Wendigo" could I add that to the list of
books that you (Harry) and I where going to exchange?

That all about this one,

Gil Milburn <gilbert at unix.campbellsvil.edu>

P.S. Harry I have e-mailed you three different pieces of mail, did
you receive them or NOT?  I realize you could be very busy... but
it has been over a week ago!  Just let me know something so I can
decided what I need to do NEXT!!