The Phantom of Notre Duck

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Thu Sep 9 09:40:08 CEST 1993

Torsten:
> I bought this album last Spring.  I bought it in a remainder bin at
> Waldenbooks for US$2.  This should tell you how popular the album was (a
> book becomes a remainder when a publisher or distributor cleans out their
> warehouse.  A discount distributor buys up the lot of books and then sells
> them very cheaply to bookstores.  This is one of the few ways to spend
> less than $5 on a book (paperback OR hardcover).).

Same things happen here in Holland, but never with Barks albums... There were
a lot of albums made of Taliaferro's and Gottfredson's sunday pages, that
are still for sale for very low prices.

> I didn't think much of the story.  It was fairly mediocre,

I think that story is one of Barks' best "late" stories! Maybe it's
youth sentiment, because it is also one of the first Barks stories that I
read (in 1967).

> and if Disney
> Comics had any marketing sense, they would have selected a better cover
> artist and a better story.

Am I correct that the cover design was taken from a "rejected" Barks cover
sketch for the story? (But I agree: Barks was not that good as a COVER
artist at that time...)

--Harry.