+Postage Due+Disney-comics digest #101.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Fri Sep 17 15:03:31 CEST 1993

DISNEYANA CONVENTION
	I see little reason to go to one of those conventions. The
people that attend are almost exclusively mindless speculators in those
stupid animation cels or they collect "pin-back buttons" (which, in the
world of idiotic "collectibles", is perhaps the most idiotic), or they
go simply because they think "Chip and Dale are the the CUTEST things"
or other such intellectual reasons. In other words, most of those
"collectibles" people pick Disney only because they see it as investment
potential or they think Mickey is just too sweet, though they know
nothing about his history or details about his artists and writers. From
my experience, they are only vaguely aware that there ever were any
Disney comic books, and they couldn't care less about them since they
weren't animated (they WOULD care less if they knew Disney never had
anything to do with their creation, but they couldn't understand that
system even after lengthy explanations). I've had fugitives from these
conventions come to me at shows and claim they are huge Donald Duck fans
and they LOVE everything about Donald Duck and they collect all the
Donald Duck stuff; this will intrigue me as a Donald Duck fan, and soon
I'll ask what their favorite comic story is -- they'll always say "Comic
books? Oh, I've never seen any comic books!" and I'll tell them that
they don't even know who Donald Duck is if they think he's just some
slapstick character who throws walnuts at Chip and Dale. "Oh, yes,
aren't they just the cutest things!"
	Obviously, I have littel respect for most of those sort of
"Disney fans". If they don't have an intellectual basis for their
interests, I think they're wasting their time.
	The only reason anyone at that show will be interested in Carl
Barks is because they will have read all the hype that the show
promotors will give him and they will all hope thay can get a signature
so they can sell it to somebody.
	Feh on 'em.