Disney-comics digest #112.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Wed Sep 29 01:27:34 CET 1993

	Dear Folks,

	Only a few comments today.

	1.  Harry:  How much does a subscription to that Dutch weekly
*cost*??  I would love to get it!  Just what I need...

	2.  The story "Treasure of Marco Polo" was reprinted *once*
here, by Whitman in about 1976, I think.  It's the violence of the
story, not the politics, apparently, that did it in after that.
Gladstone had planned to print it at the very end of their initial
run, but it didn't see the light of day (whether that's because too
many changes were requested or simply that they couldn't print
everything before the license ran out, I don't know).  We will
eventually see it in the CBL album series, of course.

	As for why the revolutionaries are at war, it's apparently
pure greed;  Barks refers to "Unsteadystan, where every thug wants to
be ruler!"  I think this story, which has genuine suspense -- rare in
1960s Barks -- would have been a classic if he'd done something like
it circa 1952.  It also wouldn't have been as arch-conservative
politically, as Barks became later on.

	Good night, folks.

	David Gerstein

	"The only way to get ahead of Mickey Mouse is to *run* in
*front* of him!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>