Pt 1/2: Disney-comics digest #408.

Itrack+ 1.1/G7 Itrack+.1.1/G7 at f24.n24.z2.fidonet.org
Sat Aug 20 09:14:55 CEST 1994

@SPLIT: 18 Aug 94  16:31:46 @105/42         1 01/02 +++++++++++
@Apparently-To: p9.f823.n230.z2.fidonet.org!Bent.Pedersen

The destination address of your msg is not listed in the current nodelists
on my system.

     REGION24.182 NODELIST.217 CLSNET.LST FSFNODES.049 GAMESNET.049 DNETLIST.049 HDS_NODE.215 ZYX_NET.147 PB-NET.154 REGION24.182 NODELIST.217

Therefore I must return this message to you.

   Jens Mueller
   Sysop of EuroStar BBS, 2:24/24

Orignal message header:

FROM:  disney-comics at minsk.docs.uu.se@1:105/42, 19 Aug 94  01:18:43
TO  :  Bent Pedersen at 2:230/823.9
SUBJ:  Pt 1/2: Disney-comics digest #408.
INTL:  2:230/823 1:105/42
Contents:

	Don Rosa		Disney-comics digest #407.
	Andrew Davies		LO$ 4
	Harry Fluks		San Diego
	Harry Fluks		LO$ 4
	Knut Hunstad		Re: Disney-comics digest #407.
	Mattias Hallin		Four Days Off-Topic in the U.S.
	James Williams		Disney-comics digest #407.
	James Williams		Re: Disney-comics digest #407.

FABIO:
	Did I get your mail? I got an E-Mail from you -- didn't you get
a response? I hate to have you send it (and me pay for it) again if I
already received it -- what were the general contents? Maybe you just
didn't get my response, whatever it was.

HARRY:
	News from San Diego? Among other items, I bought issues of
FANTASTIC FEARS, CLIMAX, TERRORS OF THE JUNGLE and THE ADVENTURES OF
OZZIE AND HARRIETT which completed my sets.
	Oh, you mean Disney comics news? No, there was nothing said on
the panel that you people don't know far more details of already.
	I did find out later that Heidi MacDonald, who was supposed to
show up on this Digest but never has for some reason, was offended that
she wasn't invited to be on the panel as representing the Disney TV
comics (as seen in DISNEY ADVENTURES digest). I told her that nobody
intended to offend anyone, but that I just didn't think that the fans of
Disney comics... at least the fans who go to conventions or are involved
in things like this computer BBS... think of comics about "Darkwing
Duck" or "Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers" when they want to talk about
"Disney comics". I think I assume that all adult Disney comics fans are
strictly interested in the old newspaper strips or Dell versions of the
characters, and that it just didn't enter our minds to invite someone
involved in the TV comics. As evidence, I notice the subject of Darkwing
Duck and that ilk never comes up on here... but maybe I'm just going by
my own preferences?
	So, now I'm curious -- is there any interest here in what
happens to the "Rescue Rangers" or in a "Tale Spin" comic book? Was an
important topic missed by not discussing Disney TV comics on the San
Diego panel?

	I didn't get a chance to talk to Daan Jippes... but I discovered
why when Grandey, speaking with Barks' voice, condemns my work and
praises both Van Horn's and Jippes'; as I suspected, Grandey is the
sales agent for both of them.

Hi everyone. Don't know why you are complaining about the heat, it's the
middle of winter after all. :-) It was -7C when I got up today. (Ok, but
by Australian standards that is pretty cold).

Anyway, I thought i would comment on LO$4, since no-one else seems to be
doing so. I don't know about the rest of you, but this series is the
most fun I've had with comics in years, and I find myself eager for the
of each from the start, so I would have a set to give to my daughter
when she's a bit older. Oh well, I can buy her the collected book I
suppose.

Anyway, this "story within a story" is just wonderful. As Don says in
his notes, 'such mellerdrama'. I had never heard this story before, and
in fact the whole of American history < 1900 is pretty sketchy to me, so
as well as grand entertainment, this is quite educational. On that note,
it might be good to have a bibliography for the series when it is
collected together. Not just U$4 etc, but references to the real life
events within the book. I guessed during part 3 that "TR" was a real
person (though couldn't place the initials), but didn't know he was in
Montana at that time. As for the Anaconda mine story, where can I read
more about it Don?

Great stuff. I can't wait for more of the series. I seem to recall
someone mentioning that part of it is set in Australia. Hmm, is that the
odd place where Riches, Riches Everywhere is set in which people with
names like "Digger" call everyone "sport"? I'll look forward to that.
:-) Seriously though Don, if that ios so, how do you go about getting a
"feel" for such settings? Have you been here? (If you'd like to someday
you have a place to stay.) Or do you just draw on whatever sources you
can? (Not Crocodile Dundee please...)

Finally, the LO$ series is getting some attention in the various comic
newsgroups. This is rare for Disney stuff, so it's worth mentioning.
Here is a review from rec.arts.comics.info:

Uncle $crooge #288, Gladstone, $1.50
THE LIFE AND TIMES OF $CROOGE McDUCK - part four:
  'THE RIDER OF THE COPPER HILL'

  Written and Drawn by Don Rosa
  Colored by Susan Daigle-Leach

  So many gags, so detailed art, so carefully constructed
  story. This story is too funny.

*OVERALL 10/10
----------------------
I guess that just about sums it up. Enjoy the summer everyone!
	Andrew Davies
P.S. I liked the cover too.

Don:
> 	I did find out later that Heidi MacDonald [..] was offended that
> she wasn't invited to be on the panel

Actually, David *did* invite her. Here, on this list.

> 	So, now I'm curious -- is there any interest here in what
> happens to the "Rescue Rangers" or in a "Tale Spin" comic book?

My only interest is *what* they are doing. I like to know that these
comic stories exist, though I don't need to read any of them. But sometimes,
it seems that Disney Comics makes a good story, like a Mickey Mouse
meets Phantom Blot or so.

--Harry.

Andrew:
> Anyway, I thought i would comment on LO$4, since no-one else seems to be
> doing so.

I bought the USA version last tuesday. I already read the Dutch version, and
there's not much difference (except colouring and one translation error).

> Here is a review from rec.arts.comics.info:
>
> Uncle $crooge #288, Gladstone, $1.50
> THE LIFE AND TIMES OF $CROOGE McDUCK - part four:
>   'THE RIDER OF THE COPPER HILL'

Actually, it should be RAIDER, not RIDER. And the title in the story is
"Raider of the Copper Hill", without the first "The". Don once said all his
Lo$ stories carry titles like "The .. of the ..", so this title could
be an error of the letterer?

--Harry.

Hi everyone!

<lot's of things deleted from included message>
>	So, now I'm curious -- is there any interest here in what
>happens to the "Rescue Rangers" or in a "Tale Spin" comic book? Was an
>important topic missed by not discussing Disney TV comics on the San
>Diego panel?

I _do_ have an interest in what happens in "Rescue Rangers" and "Tale Spin".
The reason beeing that I am disappointed to an undescribable degree about
Disney throwing overboard all the high standards for first class
entertainment and jumping unto the "Sky Channel"-style comics with:

- Total overload of images. No time to enjoy any scene before the next one
comes jumping up. Same thing as we see in the typical music video.

- Total neglect of the characters previous history. It breaks my heart to
see Baloo in his new role, beeing reduced from that wonderful, relaxed bear
to a modern, busy pilot.

It's scary to think about this beeing the introduction the next generation
will get into the "Wonderful world of Disney"! I was disappointed already
when I saw my first "Gummi Bears" episode several years ago. I couldn't
believe it was Disney. But that series at least lived it's own life with new
characters. When they suddenly started misusing their old characters in the
same way I was really shocked.

I hate to conclude that I won't ever be able to say to anyone again that
bying a comic video with the name Disney on it is a sure sign of quality!

As you probably have seen by now, this has been a topic I have been dying to
say my opinion about for a long time. Please note that I _do_ realize that
the new style has it's fans, too, I just am not able to consider this the
same quality entertainment as Disney's classic animated features or Bark's
comic stories.

Knut Hunstad
Trondheim, Norway

DON!

    But of course I shall tel| you all about it -- the fact I haven't as yet is
mainly due to the combined efforts of severe jet-lag and going back to work;
basically I've spent all my waking hours fast asleep since I got back! Or, well,
rather: when not at work, I've been sleeping practically around the clock since
Sunday afternoon.

(And to the list: well, I hope you will forgive this off-topic posting; but
since Don asked for it here, I guess I'll post it here, too.)

So! Now that I'm finally awake...

First my own and Klas' thanks to you and Ann for having us as guests! We both
enjoyed it very much!

And also -- you were quite wrong: Kentucky proved a most interesting place to
visit, even not considering it's resident Duck-artist. From your place we went
to Bardstown (I think it's called), which was quite pretty, and also had a
well-stocked, brochure-wise, visitor's center, and the nice-to-look-at Talbot
Inn, which I think dates back to 1779, where we had lunch (standard fare, but
edible enough). From there we went to the Maker's Mark distillery ('bout 18
miles further south) which I think was a wise choice, since it's a very small
distillery, bent on quality rather than quantity. They had a free tour ('twas
good), the place was interesting to see, and their bourbon quite excellent
(though by necessity of law purchased later on, in Lebanon).

So from there, by way of Lebanon, we went to see the Perryville battlefield,
which Klas quite enjoyed; and though of course it does not compare to the major
Civil War battlefield NHSs, the small museum was good enough, and one was able
by leap of imagination to get a grasp of what must have happened there. In
Perryville, which BTW has quite a number of buildings left that stood there
already during the Civil War, we had some quite good and very inexpensive dinner
at the local Greasy Spoon; where Klas got to try grits. I'm not sure he'll do
*that* again, though -- I think he found it a mite dull...

Thence we drove on eastwards, heading for the Daniel Boone Nat'l Park, or at
least the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. And I can add here that the
entire drive, all the way from Dawson Hill Road, varied between quite scenic and
*very* scenic.

After passing through Richmond, KY, we started looking for a town small enough
to have a downtown-or-nearly-so located Motel *and* a bar; but bad luck dogged
us, and every town promising motel-wise proved to be smack in a dry county; and
as night fell and the towns got smaller and fewer, we finally gave up on the
bar-thing, and settled for the night at the "Li'l Abner Motel" in Slade, just
off the Natural Bridge State Park, in between Stanton and Clampton.

Well, we'd planned to spend the entire Thursday exploring the State Park, but
when we came out to the car that morning, we had a flat! So we called the rental
agency, and they told us we had to get !n identical tire on, and after some
phone-calls we went to Stanton, 10 miles down, on the emergency wheel, and spent
three hours at Witt's Sunoco, while Mr. Witt went to the nearest town big enough
to have the right brand of tire, which took him 'bout two and a half hours, and
then changed the tires, which took his grease-jockey all of fifteen minutes!

Anyway, we finally got to spend at least the afternoon hiking in the Natural
Bridge park, which was *gorgeous*, and then started heading north on state and
county roads, until we got to Maysville, where we crossed over into Ohio, and
headed north on US 68.

We stayed the night in a small town that I can't recall the name of, but which
was most famous for having the first concrete pavement in the U.S. already in
1891 or something; and then Friday morning went on to Toledo, where we met some
musicians we'd gotten to know in Davenport, and sat in with them at a local bar
that night, and generally had a good time.

Saturday, we just drove into Chicago and flew back home...

But I'd like to tell you again that both Klas and I were real glad we'd made it
to Kentucky, and we quite agreed that it was a pity we had so little time, both
to visit you and Ann, and to just drive around Kentucky. Actually, not least
Klas appreciated the fact that Northeastern Kentucky was settled already in the
18th century, and that there seemed to be quite a few places of historical
interest -- there was several we'd have wanted to look at, but never really had
the time for... Also, the landscape and the small towns were quite nice to look
at more often than not, and from what we saw and experienced of it all, I think
we'd have like to explore Kentucky more.

Once more -- thanks you, and give our regards to Ann! And if you're ever 'round
over here, and have some spare time, just give me a call!

All my best!

Mattias

**** Mattias Hallin ** Lund * Sweden ** <Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se> ****
*                                                                        *
*               "Oh bury me thar! With my battered git-tar!              *
**************       A-screamin' my heart out fer yew!"      *************

Don,

>Among other items, I bought issues of FANTASTIC FEARS, CLIMAX, TERRORS
>OF THE JUNGLE and THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIETT which completed
>my sets.

It bothers me that you and many other comic professionals don't
read or purchase any modern comics.  There are some very good comics
being produced.

>I did find out later that Heidi MacDonald, who was supposed to show
>up on this Digest but never has for some reason, was offended that
>she wasn't invited to be on the panel as representing the Disney TV
>comics

About two weeks after I asked Heidi to join this list, I double checked
with her and she was receiving it.  Per should be able to tell us if
Heidi is still subscribed.  I don't want to offened either David or
Heidi, but I do think that Heidi MacDonald and Hildy Mesnik should have
been invited to this panel.
@Via 2:2/777 @19940819.063852 GEcho/386 1.02+