Sambo's, Martians, Lurkers, & Newts

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Sat Dec 17 14:19:25 CET 1994

DAVID on Sambo's:

>I don't really think [the story, Little Black Sambo is racist] ...  WAS
>meant to be set in India ... [beyond that story,] the term "Sambo" has
>always been used derogatorily, and thus dragged this completely well-meaning
>children's book down with it.

I quite agree about the story; and thanks for reminding me that the
original setting was in India (I had forgotten that) which makes sense with
the Tiger.  I wonder now if the use of "sambo" as a derogatory term has no
connection to the story and is meerly coincidence?

>The Sambo's restaurants became Friendly's, not Denny's.

Hmmm.. I ownder if the Sambo franchises were not simply sold off to other
chains?  The ones around here became, Denny's.  I originally thouht they
just changed their name, but it sounds like the Denny's chain may have
existed already and simply bought them out.

>Sambo restaurant is in (!!!) Santa Barbara, and it alone still goes
>by the original name (and shows Sambo in a TURBAN on its shopfront

The Sambo's around here didn't have that, but they did have sequences of
pictures inside roughly illustrating the story of Sambo's encounter with
the tiger.

DAVID on Martians:

>      Was the line about union workers deleted from Gladstone's 1989
>reprint of "Lost Beneath the Sea", or from an earlier one (Whitman)?

The original text from U$ 46 refering to labor union members was reprinted
in Walt Dinsey's Comic Digest 10.  A decade or so later, the text was
changed in the U$ 149 reprint.  The Carl Barks Library, however, came out
after that with the original text.  The original text also appears in the
Gladstone Uncle $scroge Adventures 17.

ALL on Lurkers:

In the past couple of months we've really seen quite a few lurkers post the
first message.  It's great to see new people posting here.  Keep those
message coming!

DWIGHT on Newt Gingrich as Uncle Scrooge:

>the Time cover had a caricature of Newt Gingrich [...] as a combination
>of Uncle Sam and Ebeneezer Scrooge. The caption, in big letters, read:
>"UNCLE SCROOGE."

I too wonder if this was a reference to Uncle $crooge or Dicken's character
since his nephew called him "Uncle Scrooge" in the Christmas Carol.  It is
true that many Americans (at least those in the USA) have no idea who Uncle
$crooge is.  That may be changing somewhat with DuckTales and the Disney
Channel, though.  In any case, I have a hard time thinking of Newt as our
$crooge.

Tryg

Tryg Helseth  <trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>   Minneapolis, MN, USA
          or  <tryg.helseth at tstation.mn.org>

"I wish they all could be Calisota Ducks!"  -the Beach Drakes