Horsing around...

Andreas Jansson ANDJAN at bhs.hb.se
Mon Dec 19 12:08:40 CET 1994

Having read the new Barks/Van Horn story (Horsing around with history)
a couple of hours ago, I simply couldn't resist giving my own opinions
about it.

I agree with the person who said that Van Horn is better at "gag-
stories" and I would rather have read this story with Daan Jippes
as the artist. Anyway, all in all I'm very pleased with the result!

I don't really agree with David Gerstein when he says that there is a
big logic flaw in this story. He doesn't understand how the BB find
the Trojan Horse. That couldn't be so difficult since they hear
everything the ducks say, after having replaced $crooge's button with
a microphone. I then presume (although I'm not quite sure It's
obvious in the story) that the device carried by the BB's pet
albatross is a recorder, which the albatross returns to the BB every
night or maybe even more often. The albatross disappears from the boat
as it hears the ducks talking about going home (the BB returns home
too, with the albatross). One of H, D and L says that it couldn't
have flown by itself, indicating that the BB where nearby all the
time.
One of them also saw the albatross on some sort of radar equipment as
they came to Greece (BB knew excactly where they were to go).

I can more easely agree with Fabio Gadduci's point: why didn't the
Beagle Boys take the Trojan Horse for themselves? but I can think of
three explanations:

1) The value of the horse is extremely high. But why? It's not so
much because of the gold but for the historical value!
(Indeed, I find the fact that $crooge seems to intend to keep this
fantastic discovery a secret revolting and unethical, thus also making
it possible for the BB (or anyone else) to steal the horse and claim
they found it.)
So when I think of it maybe you're right Fabio, at least IF $crooge
intends to keep the horse a secret, and I presume he'll have to
unless he likes to mess with the Greek authorities.

2) Plated(?) gold is very thin and wouldn't give much money on the
market and the horse is also very big and hard to steal for the BB.

3) Trying to rob $crooge is what the BB live for. This is the
strongest argument.

By the way, I found the last half-page in the story most inviting!

Andreas Jansson, Boraas, Sweeden
A dark and rainy day in Boraas... Christmas is getting closer...