From RoC

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen lrn at daimi.aau.dk
Fri Feb 4 15:46:36 CET 1994

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 94 49:35:32 MET
From: Lasse Reichstein Nielsen <lrn at daimi.aau.dk>
Subject: from RoC (Next weeks' mail)

Right, I've had it! I'm tired of everybody beating me to the answers
before I ever had a chance to mail'em! Now, this letter has been sent
9 times around the world in an easterly direction so you will recieve
it *last* week! Here are comments to letters you'll write next week:

From: Gary
----------
>I'm glad to tell you that War of the Wendigo has finally passed through
>the eye of the needle at Disney. Of course we had to color the indians
>green and call it is a sequel to Island in the Sky.

But why did you have to replace Donald with Launchpad?

From: Harry
-----------
>American artist Don Chips and Dutch writer Fred de Milton are rumored
>to be the creative staff on 'Rebel Babies' from LucasComics.

Who got 'Dinos vs. Stormtroopers' and the 'Indy on Mars' graphic novel?

...but seriously:

From: Henri
-----------
>'I got ran over by truth one day, I did not see the red light
> Since the accident I've walked this way, I only did what felt right'

My brother recognized the quote from a song by the Danish band D.A.D.
Their name used to be "Disneyland After Dark", but...
                                                          - Spot ]<<<<<

From: Fredrik
-------------
>[...] some issue of a weekly Mickey Mouse that featured not only "The
>Bees Have It" by William Van Horn, but also one of Jippes' re-drawn
>JW stories. However, the only copy at that store was quite battered,
>so I decided to find a better one.
>[...] And when I finally did find another
>English Mickey, it was a new issue. No Van Horn. No Jippes.

Both have been published in Sweden, and if you want English text why
not try DDAD#4 and the CBL? I admit I don't know which JWW story you
are talking about, so far three have been published in Denmark.
Is "Gold of the '49ers" one of them? BTW: How come I can't mail you?

From: Mark
----------
>What is Dan Jippes doing at Amblin'?

In November '92 he went to London and joined six animators leftover from
other projects on the storyboards for Simon Wells' "Balto" for a year.
Amblin wanted a semi-animated storyboard with about 3 frames per second.
After the Jurassic hit Universal Pictures are paying the studio bills
for Spielberg, so he is planning to move 35 of the most creative people
in London to Universal's studios in Hollywood, all charged to UP.
It should start in April '94, but Jippes already went this October.
Spielberg was so impressed with a sequence in the story-reel, that he
offered Jippes the job of starting and developing an all-new story &
animation department at Amblin.
(This info is from a September '93 interview in CB&Co.#20)

From: Per
---------
>A Russian MM was sold not only in the USA.  My own copy is bought
>in Germany and I've seen it here too.  Is it not the same as the one
>sold in the USA?  On the cover of this one Mickey and Goofy fly an
>airplane on the cover, and Goofy has a kite.  There is no number on
>the cover, but in the introductory page on the inside of the front
>cover it says that this is the first issue, and there is a "1" high up
>on page 1, right at the margin.

The cover is re-drawn from the cover of the first German Micky Maus from
1951(?). Rumors say it sold 150.000 copies in the first 45 minutes!
It was for sale here too for 4$, though I didn't buy it. What's in it?

From: Harry
-----------
I'm unable to quote this, but you said that only two Ferioli stories had
been published in Holland. I just ran through my 1990-92 volumes of AA,
which I had only read through for Don's stories, and found many more by
Ferioli (and some I had wrongly attributed to him). The reason for this
search is a project to identify all the artists in my Danish index.
If someone could give me a few names and codes for Italian Topolino
stories it would be a big help.
Fabio, could I somehow obtain your and Alberto Beccatini's (sp?) index?

From: Gary
----------
>One form of revisionism we have on occasion practiced has a recent example in
>the Murry-drawn Phantom Blot story that featured Blot, Mickey, Donald and
>Scrooge, and appeared in a recent Donald & Mickey (I don't remember which one
>at the moment, they all blur together for me most of the time). In this case,
>we decided this very rare crossover in its original form would not play as
>well to today's audience as it might if we tweaked the dialogue a little. So
>we tweaked. Reception has been mixed, as expected. The question that remains
>is: is trying to improve the past, for whatever reason, any more justifiable
>than suppressing it?

And a week later (to David):

>I appreciate what you (and Don) had to say concerning revisionism. While we're
>quite gleeful about it when it comes to the Egmont material we use (we HAVE to
>revise the dialogue!), it is something we're much less certain of when it
>comes to the "classics." Continued feedback from anyone on this will be
>welcome.

I for one would prefer a story totally skipped instead of 're-worked'.
The reason is the meagre outlet you have in the US. You can only print
about 1,000 pages a year. Unfortunately you choose to spend them on 3rd
reprints or/and censored, and therefore less valuable, stories. So they
take space from other stories that could be published unblemished during
these dark ages. Why not save the classics until the world is ready for
them, and use new material from Holland, Italy, Denmark or even France?
Is the American market so sensitive to the contents of the individual
magazine? In Denmark they can sell anything with Walt's name on it...
So I don't mind at all when you improve modern stories, though the Rota
story with the-banquet-that-wasn't won't fit that bill. So I'm a bigot.

BTW: The cover for WDC #589, the snowman in the phone booth, credited to
Michael Nadorp, appeared in another version on Norwegian DD #2/94, i.e.
almost simultaneously. There has been a bunch of those snowman covers
here recently, so obviously you reworked it. Why? (*Real* nice colors!)

"Uniikki unikorni onkin korni koni." ("It's just a horse.")

<oLe 'RoC' Reichstein Nielsen, c/o Lasse 'Spot' R.N. (lrn at daimi.aau.dk)>
...and that's pronounced 'Rykestine' (definitely *not* Reeksteen)...