Some notes...

Fabio Gadducci gadducci at DI.UniPi.IT
Sat Feb 5 19:22:31 CET 1994

Hi, guys!

Just some random notes...

>>> Marco Rota was born on September 18.th 1942 in Milan. He did his first
>>> professional job at the age of 16, but it would take another 13 years
>>> before he had his first Disney story published. It was "Topolino e la
>>> tigre col fiocco" from June 6.th 1971 in Topolino #10.
>>
>>Can someone translate this title?
>I first intended to do so with all the Italian titles, but as this one
>came out as 'The Bearded Tiger' I reconsidered.

Actually, I think the correct translation is "The tufted tiger" (if I
remember the story correctly!! Or maybe "The flocked tiger"...)

>>        Rota on Gottfredson
>>
>>        I'LL SAY!!  I'm surprised Rota praised Murry early in his
>>interview, when he later had the guts (which I applaud) to say a thing
>>like this -- and also to criticize those who made Mickey "a detective
>>who worked almost mechanically with the police".
>You'll be interested to know, that the only regular regular MM title
>in Denmark, MM pocket, which incidentally is indistinguishable from the
>other monthly pocket filled with I codes, Uncle Scrooge, has been dis-
>continued. It has however been replaced with the title Mickey Mysteries.
>Quoting by memory from the advert: "Mickey has gone full-time detective
>to give you stories the way you like them: exciting!" The stories are
>Danish coded, but have a strong Italian flavor. Mickey is a Humphrey
>Bogart type, and Minnie is an anchor-mouse on a TV network!
>Is this an example of Egmont's hardliner 'back to basics' approach???

Or maybe is simply the translation of tre Italian ongoing series "I gialli
di Topolino", reprinting Mickey's mysteries appeared in the past years in
the weekly 'Topolino'. (I say maybe simply because there is no continuity
between the stories, as it seems instead to happen in 'Mickey  Mysteries')

Nikolaus wrote:

>Mark Mayerson asked:
>> ANYBODY:
>>
>> In Europe, what percentage of the Disney comics readership are girls?  I note
>> that most of the contributors to this list are male.  In North America,
>> boys outnumber girls as comics fans.  Is this also true in Europe?
>
>As far as I can speak (for Germany): YES!

The same happens in Italy, even if Disney stuff is an exception: the
readers of Topolino are mainly male, but there is at least a 20% of girls
between them. Disney is actually trying to get a wider girls readership by
introducing a digest, 'Minnie', intended for girls (i.e., with a lot of
silly articles, on subjects as stupid as those you can find in the Minnie
'n me trading cards), where the stories have a girlish flavour. I usually
buy it since Disney is making the best artists working (almost) only for
this book (Cavazzano, Santillo, De Vita... see for example Cavazzano's
series 'The roaring years of Clarabelle' [?!], reprinted from 'Le Journal
de Mickey')

Ole wrote:

>From: Harry
>-----------
>I'm unable to quote this, but you said that only two Ferioli stories had
>been published in Holland. I just ran through my 1990-92 volumes of AA,
>which I had only read through for Don's stories, and found many more by
>Ferioli (and some I had wrongly attributed to him). The reason for this
>search is a project to identify all the artists in my Danish index.
>If someone could give me a few names and codes for Italian Topolino
>stories it would be a big help.
>Fabio, could I somehow obtain your and Alberto Beccatini's (sp?) index?

Actually, Ferioli is not Italian! He is a Spanish author (even if their
parents are Italian) who have been working for a while for Comicup, a
studio doing script and art for Mondadori in the 80's (and now sometimes
for Disney).
I can send you some more information, if you are interested. Btw, I do not
like any story from Comicup, even if I admit I never saw any of his
'signed' stories (no Comicup author got any acknowledgment, so I guess he
is working freelance)

And about the Index: sorry to say, but no updated index exists!! There is
only an old version by Franco Fossati published in 1982 in issues 1 and 2
of the magazine 'If'. It is quite interesting, since at the time Fossati
was the editor of Topolino and could look at original sources (paybooks,
etc.). He is not a good essayst, so that  when no source was available he
tried to guess, with some poor results. Or when he indicated the wife of
Guido Martina, instead of Guido Martina himself, as the author of some
stories, only because the paycheck was paid to the wife for fiscal
reasons...
Anyway, it is an interesting source, and the only one, at the moment.
We planned (me, Luca Boschi and some other guy) to make a revised edition
of that index, but we do not find the time to write that down.
If some of you is interested, I could find those two issues for 30-40$,
more or less.

That's all, folks!

Fabio

PS Harry, I did not forgot you! I'll send you your stuff this month, I
swear!! (And I'll ask again my friend at "Al fumetto" about Dell Index)

Fabio Gadducci            Dip. di Informatica
Home: +39-50-541725       Universita` di Pisa
Off.: +39-50-887268       Corso Italia 40, 56100 PISA (ITALY)
FAX:  +39-50-887226       E-mail:gadducci at di.unipi.it