Gyro's Hair & Other Things...

Jon Cato Lorentzen jonlo at ifi.uio.no
Tue Feb 15 17:05:15 CET 1994

A WIG ? :
Do the straps connect to the hat or the hair ?
I went through some Gyro stories yesterday, and in many stories his
hat fly off his head (when he's angry), and the straps follow. In one story
in particular (Posthasty Postman - US#40) Gyro goes through the whole story
with a Postman's hat, and no straps. Therefore the conclusion must be that the
straps are connected to his yellow hat, and his hair is real. In his earlier
appearances in WDC&S with Donald and the Boys, the straps are not hidden by
the hair, and goes all the way to the hat.

But then again, since the male Ducks can only have white hair (according to
Don), the same law might apply to chickens. Perhaps Gyro has coloured his
hair, or he is after all wearing a wig (!). Perhaps he uses the hat to put
pressure on the wig, so that it won't fall of his head. Hmmmm.

THE LILLEHAMMER STORY:
A page with text (and some drawings from various Duck-stories) came with
Don's Lillehammer story in the latest Norwegian Donald Duck & Co. The text
mentions four stories from which Don found inspiration for the story. I have
small doubts about this, since two of the stories are non-Barks, and one is
rather new (1984), and has probably not been printed in the US. Someone
at the publishers probably searched for stories that contained elements of
the Rosa story, and printed them as inspirations. If Don or anyone wants a
complete translation of this text, just let me now, and I'll punch it in.

THE SUNTANNED MOUSE:
Is this a strictly Norwegian phenomena, or have Mickey and Goofy gotten
hideous tans in the foreign Disney Comics as well. The trend started a year
ago, when the publishers began colouring Mickeys face in a pink/brown colour,
probably to make him seem more human. Soon, all the Mickey Characters (Goofy,
Clarabelle, Minnie etc.) got this hideous colour in their face. WHAT HAPPENED
TO WHITE ? These new stories are bad enough to begin with, but this colouring
really makes me sick. Especially when they reprint an older classic with the
new "human-like" colours.

Jon C. Lorentzen