The Life and Times... some scattered thoughts

Fredrik Ekman d91fe at iguanodon.pt.hk-r.se
Thu Feb 17 00:48:32 CET 1994

Torsten, on the subject of Lo$:
> Also, I read the third part in German three months ago, and I enjoyed it
> immensely, even though I had to translate the text.  I rarely laugh out
> loud when reading humourous stories, but I did when I saw the "rodeo" at
> the end of part three.

That's very interesting, and I guess it just proves what Don wrote in a
three has been my LEAST favourite. And my least favourite sequence of
part three was that very "rodeo". I guess I found it too silly or
whatever.

> Just remember, Don, that what you do is excellent work, and is at least in
> the top 25% of what is being published in comic books today.

On that, however, I have to agree. I would actually say top 10%, without
doubt.

> Furthermore, I hope that fans don't get to involved with setting up
> genealogies and histories, as it tends to dilute the fun and excitement of
> reading.

In an article by Per Sjoblom in an old NAFS(k)uriren, this is called
"the knowledge paradox". It says that the more you like a certain comic,
the more you will want to know about the creator, the history behind it
and things like those Torsten lists above. But that knowledge will in
turn lead to a loss of the original magic of reading the comic. I tend
to agree with this, but I still can't help trying to get that info all
the same.

> 	And no, I don't think that TLaTo$M is a bad thing.  Don did a lot
> of research and hard work, and I am certain that it will be appreciated by
> most of the readers.

For me, emotions have been mixed so far. I won't make up my mind as to
what I think about it until I've read it all.

  /F