Giving credit where credit is due.

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Sun Jan 2 01:16:58 CET 1994

On 30 Dec 93 01:13:39 EST, Don Rosa wrote:

>When Hamilton was originally bargaining to get the license in 1986, he gave
>in to many of Disney's archaic attitudes, but one thing he INSISTED on in
>spite of Disney's refusals was that writer and artist credits would be
>given. When Disney took over, they couldn't very well stop giving art

Well you do learn things here you wouldn't read in the paper!  Since
Gladstone comics were the first the give credit, I had guessed that
Hamilton had something to do with it.  I didn't know that Disney put up
such a fight against it, but I'm not surprised.

>when Disney gave foreign credits for the reprints, they would imply that
>it was all new material being done just for Disney Comics.

Yeah, if you didn't recognize the artist names or material you sure were
left with that impression.

>that I would decline having my name on a cover before Barks had his name
>on a cover. I think Barks and I shared that honor of being the first
>people to get cover credits on a Disney comic on UNCLE $CROOGE #275,
>when I wasn't looking (unless I'm mistaken).

Yep, that's the one.  In the lower left-hand corner it says, "In this
issue: Carl Barks and Don Rosa!"

>I hear) to European laws that say that if a writer or artist gets
>printed credits he then gains some form of ownership in his own creation
>(an idea intolerable to Disney!).

Disney Corporation is a jealous god... :)

Tryg Heseth  <tryve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>

"I wish the all could be Calisota Ducks!" -The Beach Drakes