The Plumber's Helper

Jon Cato Lorentzen jonlo at ifi.uio.no
Wed Jan 12 20:01:43 CET 1994

James says:
>Gladstone addressed reprinting "The Plumber's Helper" in one of their
>issues of Mickey Mouse [I think it was the 60th birthday issue].  At
>the time, they claimed that the story was extremely difficult to
>reproduce in comic book form.  Something about the way it was shaded
>(duo-tone?).  Can someone who has actually seen "The Plumber's Helper"
>shed some light on this.

"The Plumber's Helper" was released in Norway in either the "Jeg Mikke
Mus", or "Jeg, Langbein" book. It's been some time since I read the
story, but I do recall that many of the drawings were shaded in some
special way. It was like everything (and body) in a room became darker,
without the room becoming black. Reminded me a little of dot shading,
which is often used in many newspapers strip. That means that very tiny
black dots are placed on certain areas of pictures to make that area look
gray.

However, I may be far off here. They may have edited the shade effect
completely away. Many of the "I-books" are very bastardized, anyway.

BTW: Is the banned Mickey In Africa story the one with all the gorillas
and the Cannibals ? I just wondered.

Jon C. Lorentzen
University of Oslo