The Plumber's Helper et.al.

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Wed Jan 12 20:33:12 CET 1994

Jon C. Lorentzen wrote:

> "The Plumber's Helper" was released in Norway in either the "Jeg Mikke
> Mus", or "Jeg, Langbein" book. It's been some time since I read the
> story, but I do recall that many of the drawings were shaded in some
> special way. It was like everything (and body) in a room became darker,
> without the room becoming black. Reminded me a little of dot shading,
> which is often used in many newspapers strip. That means that very tiny
> black dots are placed on certain areas of pictures to make that area look
> gray.

Those little dots must have been in the original newspaper
print: they are in the Dutch reprint too. Some of the pages look very
dirty, because the dots are making black spots on a copy of a copy of a
copy...
I think it must be a lot of work to white out those areas to make the story
at least a bit 'clean'.

Same applied to a few other Gottfredson strips of that period.

> BTW: Is the banned Mickey In Africa story the one with all the gorillas
> and the Cannibals ? I just wondered.

No, "Foreign Legion" is the one in the desert, with Black Pete terrorising
Mickey. But the other two african stories (with Spooks the gorilla) are banned,
too...

--Harry.

P.S. Mattias: advanTHANKSce! (for you know what...)